Silly string parties are a great way to entertain kids — but it is a slimy substance that can stain everything it touches, from clothing and carpets to skin and hair.
Fortunately, you can take a few easy steps to remove silly string stains from fabrics and other materials.
- What Is Silly String?
- Does Silly String Stain Clothes
- Does Silly String Dissolve?
- Does Silly String Come Out of Clothing?
- What Removes Silly Putty Out of Clothing
- How to Get Silly String Out of Clothing
- Does Silly String Stain Carpet?
- Does Silly String Come Out of Carpet?
- Related Questions
What Is Silly String?
Silly String is a toy of flexible, sometimes brightly colored, plastic String propelled as a stream of liquid from an aerosol can (like an aerosol can of hair spray).
Often seen at Christmas or kids’ parties and games, Silly String is made by shooting it out of a pressurized container.
Does Silly String Stain Clothes
Yes, it can stain clothes and other surfaces. It’s sticky and colorful, but it’s messy and dangerous if sprayed too close to the fabric. Silly String can stain if it’s sprayed closer than 5 feet. Otherwise, the liquid doesn’t have time to dry in the air before hitting your clothes and soaking into them.
If a person doesn’t clean up the silly string stain as soon as possible, it will set into the clothing and be harder to get out. Also, the longer it sits on the clothing, the more likely it is for the stain to set into the fabric permanently.
Does Silly String Dissolve?
Yes. Most silly String is made out of materials that will dissolve when it comes in contact with water. So it would help if you let some water drip on the Silly String, and it will start to dissolve.
Does Silly String Come Out of Clothing?
Yes, silly String does come out of most fabrics. The trick is to get it before it dries. If you have a stain that has already dried, make sure that you brush the stain with a toothbrush and then scrape the stain off with a dull knife.
What Removes Silly Putty Out of Clothing
Removing silly string stains from clothes can be frustrating because getting off once it has dried is challenging.
WD-40 can be effective in removing silly String from clothing and other surfaces. First, spray it on the surface and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then, wipe the surface gently with a clean cloth soaked in warm water.
Rubbing alcohol is another good home remedy for removing silly string stains from clothes. It serves two purposes — dissolving the sticky substance and cleaning up any remaining residue. Dip a cotton swab or soft material into rubbing alcohol, then blot it on the stain several times.
You can also use vinegar to remove silly string stains from clothes. Pour white vinegar over the stain and let it soak for some time until all of the sticky substance is dissolved. Wash your clothes generally after that.
Use dishwashing soap and water to get rid of silly putty stains on your white garment. Then, rub some liquid dish soap onto the stain and wash as usual to altogether remove the stain.
How to Get Silly String Out of Clothing
you can easily remove silly String from clothes by following a few easy steps.
Dishwashing soap and water
- If your clothing gets silly string stains, try removing them with water. If it has dried, brush off any excess.
- Lay the garment out flat and spray a little water on the stain.
- Then squirt a generous amount of dish soap on the stain.
- Massage the area using your fingers or a make-up brush. You can also use a sponge for this step, but be sure not to rub too hard, or you could damage the fabric.
- Then launder as usual.
Using white vinegar
- As an alternative method for pretreating Silly String stains, soak them in white vinegar before washing them in cold water. White vinegar is a natural stain remover that can cut through many substances, including Silly String.
- Wash the garment as you usually would, using a bit of dishwashing soap to get out the Silly String.
- Rinse well and set aside to air dry.
Note: Do not put the stained clothing in the washer until the stain has been removed.
Does Silly String Stain Carpet?
Is silly String a permanent stain on carpets? Yes, silly String is a permanent stain on carpets that is quite difficult to remove.
Carpets generally have longer and thicker fibers compared to other types of fabrics. Unfortunately, this makes them vulnerable to silly string stains because silly String can get into the fibers’ inner core.
Does Silly String Come Out of Carpet?
Yes, it is possible to remove silly String from the carpet. Follow the methods below to get Silly Putty out of the carpet.
- To remove the silly string stain entirely from the carpet, you will have to clean the area with alcohol. Alcohol removes all the traces of silly String from the carpet.
- You have to pour alcohol on a clean cloth and rub it against the affected area gently in a circular motion for a few minutes until the stain disappears completely.
- Alcohol evaporates quickly. Therefore, you have to repeat it several times until you are sure that all traces of silly String have been removed from the carpet.
- Once you have removed all traces of silly String from your carpet, you will have to apply some mild.
- First, try to remove some of the excess silly string material with a dry cloth.
- Apply some solvent to it. For example, you can use vinegar or any other solvent with similar properties like acetone or turpentine.
- Rub the affected area with this solution for about 30 seconds.
- Wipe off the solution using another clean piece of cloth.
- Now use another clean piece of cloth and apply water to the affected area.
- Now dab it gently using your fingers till all the stain is removed from the carpet.
- If there is any leftover silly string material, you can use a vacuum cleaner to suck them up and throw them away.
Can Silly String be removed from the skin?
For the most part, Silly String can be removed from the skin and will not leave a stain. Soap and water are often all that’s needed to remove Silly String from the skin. The String won’t stain, but if it sits on your skin long enough, you may notice a pinkish color once it has dried. This will fade away with time.
Does silly string stain concrete?
Yes, silly String leaves a sticky residue that can seep into cracks and crevices. However, the residue is easy to clean up with water and will not stain your concrete.
Does silly String evaporate?
Silly String is a toy made from a liquid. When the liquid is sprayed into the air, the solvent in the String evaporates and leaves behind just a long piece of plastic String.
Does Silly String ruin a car?
It depends on how it is applied and how long it sits before it is washed away. For example, silly String, or plastic resin, is made up of tiny balls of plastic that are applied to a string and then sprayed at a target. When left on a vehicle exposed to the elements, this plastic can cause damage.