Ever had a moment where you tried to step out of the gym but forgot how bad your clothes smelled? It’s an all too common problem, and it’s easy to forget about what we wear as we sweat.
However, there are some small changes that can make a big difference in how quickly our clothes start smelling fresh again.
If you’re trying to figure out how do you get underarm odor out of clothes permanently, we have all the information you need right here.
Why does my shirt smell bad when I sweat?
The bacteria that cause body odor usually flourish in an environment where the humidity is high, like under layers of clothing.
Many athletes (not just runners) can testify to how bad their shirts smell after a hard workout! This has to do with the fact that they are producing copious amounts of moist perspiration, giving bacteria more opportunity to flourish.
Wearing cotton t-shirts rather than polyester blends may help because they absorb sweat better (and consequently the unpleasant smell).
Tips to prevent sweat smells in clothes
Keep Yourself Clean
It’s important to practice good hygiene to keep yourself and your clothes clean. Make it a habit to shower at least once a day to clean the body and get rid of bacterias on the skin.
Use Antibacterial Soap
Many people find that the best way to keep their bodies from smelling is through the use of antibacterial soap. Make a habit of using antibacterial soap to clean your body and your clothes.
Dry Yourself Completely
Make sure to dry yourself off well before getting dressed again so that sweat doesn’t accumulate on your skin.
Keep Your Clothes Clean
Wash your clothes after each wear, washing your clothes right away can also limit and reduce the bacterial load on your clothes.
Make sure to wear a good undershirt as this will absorb as much of the sweat as possible. This will not only help to preserve your clothes but also help wick away moisture from your body which is what causes the bad odor in the first place.
Sweat During Workout
A quick tip for limiting sweat during a workout is to drink lots of fluids before, during, and after exercise. This will reduce your workout intensity because you won’t be dehydrated and your body won’t try to compensate for the lack of fluids by increasing perspiration.
- Read: How to Remove Mold from Colored Clothes
- Read: How to Wash Clothes Without Detergent
- Read: How to Get Colour Run Out of Clothes
Quick Ways to Get Sweat Smells Out of Clothes Fast
How do you remove stubborn sweat stains with warm water
The best and quickest way to get sweat smells out of clothes is to use warm water and delicate soap. The soap will help break down the organic compounds in your sweat and dirt, while the warm water will make it easier to remove all the stains and smell from your clothes.
Be sure to check the garment label for instructions.
- Soak the garment in the mixture of warm water with strong detergent for about 15 – 20 minutes
- The wash should be done in the washing machine. The best way to get rid of sweat smells is by using an active detergent like Dreft, Tide, or Persil. After soaking for about 15 – 20 minutes you can put them into the washer and do a regular cycle.
- The warm water will help soften up the fabric so that it’s easier to remove the sweat and dirt from your clothes. After that, just wash it as you normally do.
Get a lemon
If there’s no time to run to the store for a box of laundry detergent, grab a lemon! Lemons are known for their cleaning properties, so they can also help get sweat smells out of clothes.
- First, soak the garment in warm water along with salt or baking powder.
- Then cut a lemon in half and squeeze out some of its juice onto the smelly areas on your clothes.
- After that, apply laundry detergent to help break down any organic matter.
- Wash it as normal.
How to get smell out of clothes with vinegar
White vinegar is a great way to remove smells and sweat stains from your clothes. To get that sweat odor out of your clothes, you can use vinegar.
- Mix one cup of white vinegar with warm water, and apply it to the fabric using a spray bottle.
- Fill your machine with a mixture of one cup of white vinegar and warm water.
- Add the clothes to be washed and let them soak for 20 minutes before adding detergent and running a normal cycle.
The smell of vinegar will fade as it is washed away with your clothes, leaving them clean and fresh! Hang to dry after washing.
Get baking soda
Baking soda can help absorb sweat smells out of clothes. First, soak the garment in warm water with baking powder for at least 20 – 30 minutes minutes.
Then put the garment in the washer with water and your favorite detergent, and do a regular cycle.
Washing soda is a variety of soda known as sodium carbonate, and it can be used to remove sweat smells from clothes. This type of soda is often used to restore the pH balance in your clothes as well as removing odors.
To use it, you should first soak the garment in water with the washing soda for at least 20 minutes. Then wash the garment just as you normally would remove the sweat and odor from your clothes.
Borax powder is another great way to eliminate sweat smells.
Dissolve 2 teaspoons of borax powder in a cup of warm water to submerge your clothes
Leave for 20 minutes then rinse
What is the best laundry detergent for sweat smell?
Gain Laundry Detergent Liquid Plus Aroma Boost
Gain Laundry Detergent is a great detergent for removing sweat smells. Gain original scent will freshen clothes with its tough duty formula, without getting any icky residue. It will also work to get out stubborn stains and remove all that unpleasant smell.
The unique aromatic cleaning power of Gain Laundry Detergent means that you can feel clean in any room of the house, whether it’s your bedroom or your living room.
Launder whole loads with one cup of Gain laundry detergent with the scent booster for a fresh batch of clothes. You can also use Gain for sweaters, blankets, curtains, or any other kind of fabric—either in the machine or by hand.
Tide PODS 4 in 1 Febreze Sport Odor Defense laundry detergent
Tide PODS 4 in 1 Febreze Sport Odor Defense laundry detergent helps you fight odors with its powerful cleaning agents.
The detergent also comes with Febreeze Sport which leaves clothes smelling fresh and clean for up to 12 hours after washing them! It’s perfect for athletes or people who work out often because it removes tough stains like grass, dirt, mud, and more without fading colors.
Why do my clothes still smell of sweat after washing?
Perspiration can penetrate fabric and its molecules can cling to cloth, which will make the sweat odor even stronger after washing. Fabrics such as cotton or nylon that allow more perspiration to seep into them are the most likely candidates for malodorous smells.
How to get sweat smell out of clothes without washing
There are a couple of options if you don’t want to wash your clothes. For example, baking soda can help absorb odor.
- Use white vinegar to remove smells without washing. Mix one cup of white vinegar with warm water, and apply it to the fabric using a spray bottle.
- Spraying the garments with Febreze or placing them in a bag with dryer sheets for about 24 hours
- I used to have a problem with sweaty clothes, but I got it solved simply. All you need is some aluminum foil and a microwave. First , spray your clothes with water and then pat them dry. Next, cover the clothes in aluminum foil. Then, put them in the microwave for about an hour. Take your clothes out afterward and open the aluminum foil up carefully to check on it. It should be nice and dry now!
Will vinegar remove sweat stains?
Vinegar can act as an acid. It will remove sweat stains, but not the smell of them.
What are some natural ways to get sweat smell out of clothes?
You could try sprinkling dry baking soda on your clothes before ironing them for a ‘green’ way to freshen up your wardrobe.
It’s also worth experimenting with other fragrance boosters, including fabric refreshers which you can spray onto clothes after washing, or cedar chips for closets.