Last Updated on 1 week by Sewingfeed
Are you worried about how you get swear smell out of the clothes fast? Don’t worry! You have landed in the right place because we are here to help you. Keep yourself clean, use antibacterial soap, dry yourself completely, and wear an undershirt are some tips that allow you to get rid of the sweat smell.
Ever had a moment where you tried to step out of the gym but forgot how bad your clothes smelled? It’s an all too common problem, and it’s easy to forget what we wear as we sweat. However, some minor changes can significantly affect how quickly our clothes start smelling fresh again.
If you’re trying to figure out how to get underarm odor out of clothes permanently, we have all the information you need right here. Let’s get started!
Why Does My Shirt Smell Bad When I Sweat?
The bacteria that cause body odor usually flourish in an environment with high humidity, like under layers of clothing. Many athletes (not just runners) can testify to how bad their shirts smell after a hard workout! This has to do with the fact that they produce copious amounts of moist perspiration, giving bacteria more opportunity to flourish. Wearing cotton t-shirts rather than polyester blends may help because they absorb sweat better (and consequently the unpleasant smell).
Tips To Prevent Sweat Smells In Clothes
Here are some amazing tips that help you to prevent the sweat smell:
#1. Keep yourself clean
It’s essential to practice good hygiene to keep yourself and your clothes clean. Make it a habit to shower at least once a day to clean the body and eliminate bacteria on the skin.
#2. Use antibacterial soap
Many people find that the best way to keep their bodies from smelling is through antibacterial soap. Make a habit of using antibacterial soap to clean your body and your clothes.
#3. Dry yourself completely
Make sure to dry yourself well before getting dressed again so that sweat doesn’t accumulate on your skin.
#4. Keep your clothes clean
Wash your clothes after each wear. Washing your clothes right away can also limit and reduce the bacterial load on your clothes.
#5. Wear undershirt
Make sure to wear a good undershirt as this will absorb as much of the sweat as possible. This will not only help preserve your clothes but also help wick away moisture from your body, which causes the foul odor in the first place.
#6. Sweat during workout
A quick tip for limiting sweat during a workout is to drink lots of fluids before, during, and after exercise. This will reduce your workout intensity because you won’t be dehydrated, and your body won’t try to compensate for the lack of fluids by increasing perspiration.
Quick Ways To Get Sweat Smells Out Of Clothes Fast
Below we have listed some other ways to get rid of the sweat smell:
#1. With warm water
The best and quickest way to get sweat smells out of clothes is to use warm water and delicate soap. The soap will help break down the organic compounds in your work and dirt, while the warm water will make it easier to remove all the stains and smell from your clothes. Be sure to check the garment label for instructions.
- Soak the garment in the mixture of warm water with solid detergent for about 15 – 20 minutes
- The wash should be done in the washing machine. The best way to eliminate sweat smells is by using an active detergent like Dreft, Tide, or Persil. After soaking for about 15 – 20 minutes, you can put them into the washer and do a regular cycle.
- The warm water will help soften the fabric, so removing the sweat and dirt from your clothes is more leisurely. After that, just wash it as you usually do.
#2. Get a lemon
If there’s no time to run to the store for a box of laundry detergent, grab a lemon! Lemons are known for their cleaning properties, so they can also help get sweat smells out of clothes.
- First, soak the garment in warm water and salt or baking powder.
- Then cut a lemon in half and squeeze some of its juice onto the smelly areas on your clothes.
- After that, apply laundry detergent to help break down any organic matter.
- Wash it as usual.
#3. With vinegar
White vinegar is a great way to remove smells and sweat stains from your clothes. You can use vinegar to get that sweat odor out of your clothes.
- Mix one cup of white vinegar with warm water, and apply it to the fabric using a spray bottle.
- Fill your machine with a mixture of one cup of white vinegar and warm water.
- Add the clothes to be washed and let them soak for 20 minutes before adding detergent and running a normal cycle.
The smell of vinegar will fade as it is washed away with your clothes, leaving them clean and fresh! Hang to dry after washing.
#4. Get baking soda
Baking soda can help absorb sweat smells out of clothes. First, soak the garment in warm water with baking powder fast 20 – 30 minutes minutes. Then put the garment in the washer with water and your favorite detergent, and do a regular cycle.
#5. Washing soda
Washing soda is a variety of soda known as sodium carbonate, which can be used to remove sweat smells from clothes. This soda is often used to restore the pH balance in your clothes and remove odors. To use it, you should first soak the garment in water with the washing soda for at least 20 minutes. Then wash the garment just as you usually would, and remove the sweat and odor from your clothes.
#6. Borax powder
- Borax powder is another excellent way to eliminate sweat smells.
- Dissolve 2 teaspoons of borax powder in a cup of warm water to submerge your clothes
- Leave for 20 minutes, then rinse
What Is The Best Laundry Detergent For Sweat Smell?
Let’s find out some best laundry detergents to get rid of sweat smell from clothes:
#1. Gain laundry detergent liquid plus aroma boost
Gain Laundry Detergent is an excellent detergent for removing sweat smells. Gain original scent will freshen clothes with its tough-duty formula without getting any icky residue. It will also work to get out stubborn stains and remove all that unpleasant smell.
The unique aromatic cleaning power of Gain Laundry Detergent means that you can feel clean in any house room, whether it’s your bedroom or your living room. Launder whole loads with one cup of Gain laundry detergent with the scent booster for a fresh batch of clothes. You can also use Gain for sweaters, blankets, curtains, or any other fabric in the machine or by hand.
#2. Tide PODS 4 in 1 Febreze sports odor defense laundry detergent
Tide PODS 4 in 1 Febreze Sport Odor Defense laundry detergent helps you fight odors with its powerful cleaning agents. The detergent also comes with Febreeze Sport which leaves clothes smelling fresh and clean for up to 12 hours after washing them! It’s perfect for athletes or people who work out often because it removes tough stains like grass, dirt, mud, and more without fading colors.
Frequently Asked Question/FAQs
Below you’ll find the answer to a few important questions:
Why do my clothes still smell of sweat after washing?
Perspiration can penetrate fabric, and its molecules can cling to cloth, which will make the sweat odor even stronger after washing. Fabrics such as cotton or nylon that allow more sweat to seep into them are the most likely candidates for malodorous smells.
How do you get the sweat smell out of clothes without washing them?
There are a couple of options if you don’t want to wash your clothes. For example, baking soda can help absorb odor.
- Use white vinegar to remove smells without washing. Mix one cup of white vinegar with warm water, and apply it to the fabric using a spray bottle.
- Spraying the garments with Febreze or placing them in a bag with dryer sheets for about 24 hours
- I used to have a problem with sweaty clothes, but I solved it simply. All you need is some aluminum foil and a microwave. First, spray your clothes with water and then pat them dry. Next, cover the clothes in aluminum foil. Then, put them in the microwave for about an hour. Take your clothes out afterward and open the aluminum foil up carefully to check on it. It should be nice and dry now!
Will vinegar remove sweat stains?
Vinegar can act as an acid. It will remove sweat stains, but not the smell of them.
What are some natural ways to get sweat smell out of clothes?
You could try sprinkling dry baking soda on your clothes before ironing them for a ‘green’ way to freshen up your wardrobe. It’s also worth experimenting with other fragrance boosters, including fabric refreshers which you can spray onto clothes after washing or cedar chips for closets. You may also be interested to know about body odor causes and changes.
It’s A Wrap!
We hope that reading this article is just fun for you, and after reading it, you’ll learn how you quickly get sweat smells out of clothes. Read all the tips carefully to understand them, and then use them when you wash your clothes. Thank you very much for reading this article. Happy sewing! You may also want to read about how to get sweet and sour sauce out of carpet and clothes and how to get liquid latex out of clothes.