Sewing has been around for centuries and we’ve come a long way from the days of hand sewing.
But even in this age of technology, there are still some things that need to be done by hand. Sewing on buttons is one such task.
The process can be frustrating because it’s hard to find the eye of the needle once you take off the old button. But if you follow these steps, you’ll never have trouble again.
How to Change a Needle on a Brother Sewing Machine
The needle of a sewing machine must be changed when it is broken or dull.
- To change the needle, turn the handwheel towards the needle that needs to be replaced.
- Lift up the presser foot and then release. Now, back away from the machine to give yourself some space.
- Take off the old needle by pulling it straight out (while holding onto the thread).
- Put your hand in between the feed dog lever and take up the lever and push them down. The feed dog should now be able to move freely without being caught on anything.
- Pick up one of your new needles and gently slide it into a place where you took out your old needle. Make sure that you’re still holding onto both threads before putting everything back together.
- Put the presser foot back down. Sew a couple of stitches before picking it up again and pushing the feed dog lever and take-up lever back up into their original positions. Now you’re done!
- Putting a piece of cardboard in between your foot and the needle will prevent bending or breaking needles while sewing. Additionally, you can buy a protective foot for your machine that will prevent any accidents.
When should I replace my sewing machine needle?
Here are the signs and indications of when to replace your sewing machine needle.
- The top stitch is breaking
- You’re having trouble sewing or you feel some resistance while sewing
- Thread gets caught on the hook, but nothing seems to be broken. It’ll usually look like something (or a piece of thread) is stuck on the hook.
- Under the needle plate, you can see a shiny area where it looks like there’s not enough felt left and this is making your needle hit metal. This means that it’s time to change your needle (preferably as soon as possible).
- Some machines might skip stitches or make a “thudding” sound when the needle is too dull or needs to be changed. Underneath the needle plate, you can find a chart that shows how many hours you have sewn with this machine and what needle you should use for your specific machine.
- Don’t forget to clean underneath the needle plate every time you change your needle! This will help your machine last longer and ensure it doesn’t get clogged up. You can use a tool like the one shown in the picture above or even a toothbrush will do just fine.
- If your needle is bent or broken, you should replace it as soon as possible to prevent any damage. The best way of avoiding this is by changing the needle regularly.
- Anchor brand needles are good needles that come with a sharp point and different types of finishes. They’re fully compatible with all sewing machines.
How To Change The Needle on a Brother Sewing Machine
Things You Should Know Before Changing The Needle
- When changing the needle, always look at the size of your old needle and pick out a new one that has the same size.
- When sewing cotton, you should sew with a 90/14 needle. Use a size 80/12 for embroidery and quilting, and use 100/16 when working with vinyl or leathers.
- If you’re having trouble with the tension of your machine, go up one size (for example from an 80/12 to a 90/14)
- The choice of needle you pick affects the type of stitch you sew. A sharp point will make your stitches very thin and cause them to be more visible, while around point creates larger stitches that are less visible. Using a ballpoint needle gives you an extra advantage because it helps to avoid getting stuck in fabrics like fleece or knits.
- You should replace your needle immediately if you’ve dropped it on the floor!
- Anchor brand needles come with a special machine head, which makes them easier to thread than normal needles.
How long does a sewing needle last?
A sewing needle lasts for a few hours or so. There is an easy way to check and see if your needle needs replacing:
- – If you have dropped the needle on the floor, discard it!
- – If you are having trouble with the tension of your machine, go up one size (for example from an 80/12 to a 90/14)
- – The choice of needle you pick affects the type of stitch you sew. A sharp point will make your stitches very thin and cause them to be more visible, while around point creates larger stitches that are less visible. Using a ballpoint needle gives you an extra advantage because it helps to avoid getting stuck in fabrics like fleece or knits.
How do you change the needle on a brother cs6000i sewing machine?
The Brother CS6000i is an incredible performer with many great features. It’s a sewing machine you’ll definitely want to own.
The needle needs to be changed on the Brother CS6000i when the thread bunches up and leaves large loops in the fabric.
To change the needle on a Brother CS6000i;
- Begin by opening the top of the machine using the access panel on the front of the machine.
- Inside you’ll see a latch that holds your needle arm in place.
- Simply turn this latch toward yourself and release it to clear up any obstructions that may be making it difficult for your needle arm to move freely.
- Next, insert a new needle into the hole at the back left side of your needle arm, and push it down until you hear it click into place behind the retaining clip.
- Finally, put the needle down screw back on the front of your machine.
Note: Pressing and holding the needle-down button (the down arrow located to the right of your presser foot) will change the needle position from its current location, which is near where it protrudes through your fabric, to behind the arm in that hole at the rear of your machine. This will make it much easier to change the needle, and also help protect your fabric from snags.
How do you change the needle on a brother se1900?
The Brother sewing machine offers two types of needles–Universal and Stretch. The Universal needle can be used to sew fabrics that are a variety of thicknesses but cannot sew heavy fabrics such as denim or leather.
The Stretch needle can sew light and medium weight fabrics, but not heavy fabrics.
To change the needle on a Brother SE1900:
- Disconnect the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Open the door by pulling the green release lever (located on top of the machine).
- Remove the needle by lifting up on the red button located at the back of the needle.
- Add new needle by inserting it into sewing machine from left to right then attaching it to the underside of bottom thread spool pin.
- Button the red button located at the back of the needle.
- Reset stitch width and length to default settings by pressing the red self-test button twice.
- Push green release lever down so that it snaps into place
- Connect power cord to wall outlet, turn on machine and test.
How do you change the needle on a brother lx3817 sewing machine?
To change the needle on your Brother lx3817 sewing machine, first, make sure that there is a new needle in the drum.
- Turn the handwheel until you can see the needle sticking out. Push the presser foot and needle bar down to lock them into place.
- Pull up on the lever that locks up and holds the feed dogs still.
- Carefully pull off the old needle and discard it.
- Then, insert a new needle so it lays flat against the presser foot with the mouth facing down.
- Gently lower your presser foot so that it comes down over the new needle.
You can now lock up and release all of your other settings back to their original positions before trying your machine again.
What is a 90 14 needle?
A 90/14 needle is a machine needle that has a large eye for sewing with lightweight fabric. It is also very good for kids’ clothing and a lot of craft projects. A size 80/12 should be used when sewing on knits, while 100/16 is used when working with leather.
What is the strongest sewing machine needle?
The strongest needle is a titanium one. Those, however, are harder to find and relatively expensive. For occasional use, the most affordable needle is probably a universal or topstitching needle with a thicker point.
How do I know what sewing machine needle to use?
The answer for this question depends on what types of fabric you are sewing, how thick the material is, if you want to use thick or thin thread, and more importantly, what type of machine you have (home vs industrial) which can change drastically depending on the model.
For most home machines as well as lighter materials that fall into the category “general purpose” I would recommend using a 90/14 needle.
What is a 70 10 needle used for?
The 70/10 sewing machine needle is the most common needle used in a standard household sewing machine. It’s better for stitching lighter materials, such as cotton, linen, and silk (among others).
The 70/11 needle is the next most common size. This one is best for thicker materials like denim or wool.
Do schmetz needles fit in a brother?
Schmetz needles are universal and can be used in almost all machines. The brand of the machine doesn’t make a difference.
Can a Brother sewing machine use universal needles?
Yes, Brother sewing machines are compatible with universal needles. The needles fit in the Brother sewing machine.
Do Brother sewing machines come with needles?
Yes. Brother sewing machines come with a set of needles in the box. There are two types of needles: one for sewing cotton and another for thicker materials, such as denim or wool.
What size needle is best for sewing cotton?
A 90/14 needle is best for sewing cotton.