Desitin is a popular diaper rash ointment that contains zinc oxide, which is an effective ingredient for helping to treat diaper rashes. However, this may also cause stains on clothing if it’s not removed quickly.
The best way to remove Desitin from clothing is by applying a little rubbing alcohol directly onto the stain and letting it sit for about 10 minutes. After, blot the area again with another clean cloth or paper towel and run it under cold water. You can also use vinegar or dishwashing soap.
Desitin can be difficult to remove from clothes and other fabrics because it contains mineral oil, which sticks to the fabric and makes the stain more difficult to remove.
Fortunately, there are several methods that can help you get Desitin out of your clothes in no time at all. If you notice residue on clothes after using Desitin, here are ways you can try to remove it.
Does Desitin Cream Stain Clothes?
Desitin Cream can stain your clothes. Desitin cream stains are caused by the zinc oxide in the product and are not permanent stains once they have been removed from your clothes. You should be able to remove them from any type of fabric using simple steps before they set into your clothing permanently.
Does Desitin Diaper Rash Cream Come Out of Clothes?
Yes, Desitin diaper rash cream can come out of clothes. It is a thick cream that can stain if not washed out immediately. You can use water or baby laundry detergent to soak and rinse the clothes until all traces of Desitin are gone.
It is important to use a detergent that you know has worked well on removing. You may need to try several different brands before you find one that works.
Pro tips: The first step in getting rid of Desitin is treating it as soon as possible after it happens. The longer the stain sits on your clothing, the harder it will be to remove later on. So if you notice a Desitin stain on your clothes or carpet act right away.
What You’ll Need
|Detergent||Dawn dish soap|
|Goo Gone||Brush/old toothbrush|
|Water||Clean cloth/paper towel|
How to Get Desitin Out of Clothes
Here are some simple ways that you can try in order to get rid of Desitin from clothing:
Remove Excess Desitin
The first step in removing desitin stains from clothes is to remove as much of the ointment as possible with a clean cloth or paper towel. If you are dealing with a large stain, you may want to scrape off as much excess as possible before proceeding with further steps.
Apply Water to Loosen the Stain
Once you have removed as much of the ointment as possible, apply water directly to the stained area to loosen up any remaining product still stuck on the clothing.
The water will help break down any remaining desitin residue so that you can easily remove it completely during the next step of treatment.
Liquid Detergent Solution
If you have time to spare before washing the clothes, you can use a detergent solution to remove stains from Desitin. Liquid Detergent is a good option for removing Desitin from clothes. The detergent will help break down the grease and oil that are causing the stain.
Use it as soon as possible and it will be easier to remove.
- Apply a small amount of liquid detergent directly on top of the stain using a clean cloth or paper towel.
- Soak the stained area of clothing in this solution for 20 minutes.
- Then gently rub it into the fabric using circular motions until all traces of the stain disappear from view leaving only clean fabric behind without any trace of discoloration left behind.
- Finally, launder your clothing according to its instructions for washing and drying without adding any bleach or other bleaching agents. If you don’t want to wash the entire garment because it has multiple stains, then isolate just this one area and wash it separately so that none.
Treat Stain With Vinegar
One of the best ways to remove stains is with vinegar. Vinegar can be used on many types of stains, including those from Desitin.
Vinegar is an acidic liquid that can be used as a disinfectant or cleaner for many types of stains. It works by breaking down the molecules in the stain, making it easier for you to wash out with water.
Note: Vinegar should not be used if your child's clothes with sensitive skin because it can cause irritation or allergies.
- Apply white vinegar directly to the stain using a cotton swab or clean toothbrush. Wait five minutes for the vinegar to penetrate the fabric fibers before washing again in cold water with detergent or spot treatment.
- Next, gently rub this mixture into the affected area until it disappears completely, be sure not to rub too hard so as not to damage your clothing further.
- Rinse with cold water and then wash as normal in the washing machine or by hand.
- Repeat the process until you achieve satisfactory results or until all visible traces of discoloration are gone.
Goo Gone is another wonderful product. It can be found at most grocery stores and it’s great for getting gum out of clothing, too.
Goo Gone works in much the same way as WD-40, but it also has a pleasant scent that doesn’t linger on your child’s clothing. The best part about Goo Gone is that it will remove the stain as well as the smell.
- The best way to use this product is to spray it directly onto the stain.
- Let it sit for about 30 seconds before blotting away with a clean towel or paper towel.
- If there is still some residue left behind after blotting, repeat the process until all of it has been removed from your clothing item.
Dawn dish soap
Dawn dish soap works well for getting oil stains out of clothes, but it’s not strong enough for Desitin diaper rash cream. However, it can remove some residue from the fabric and make it easier for other products to work on the stain later on.
- Just use a few drops of dish soap on a damp cloth.
- Rub it into the clothing gently before washing normally with water and detergent.
- Rinse thoroughly after washing with warm water and hang dry your clothes outside if possible so that sunlight can bleach out any remaining residue from the diaper cream.
Rubbing alcohol is one of the best ways to remove Desitin from clothes. Rubbing alcohol is also known as isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol and can be found at most drugstores in the first aid section.
When using rubbing alcohol on any fabric, be sure to test the product in an inconspicuous place first to make sure it doesn’t alter the color or texture of your item.
- Apply the rubbing alcohol directly to the stain and let it sit for about 120 seconds before washing it as usual.
- If there is still some residue left over after washing, repeat this process one more time before drying your garment in the dryer or hanging outside in direct sunlight for several hours.
There is nothing more stressful than ruining your favorite outfit with a rash cream and then realizing that you can’t get it out. This is why we wrote this article; to help you find a solution and rid yourself of the burden of messy diapers once and for all.
We hope you find our techniques helpful. Now you can take control of your laundry to keep it looking great.