Last Updated on 11 months by Susan Mayrich
OxiClean is a popular stain remover that is used in both commercial and residential settings. It works well on most stains, but it can leave a residue on your carpet if you don’t rinse it properly. The residue from OxiClean can make your carpet feel sticky and uncomfortable, so it’s important to remove it.
The best way to get oxiclean residue out of the carpet is to apply a liquid dish soap or laundry detergent and scrub with an old toothbrush or soft scrub pad until all of the powder has been removed from your carpet. Rinse with warm water again until no more suds appear in the sink or on your carpet.
Despite its unsightly appearance, OxiClean residue is actually quite easy to remove. All you need is a good stain remover and your carpet will look good as new again. Sounds too good to be true? Stick with us and we’ll show you how it works.
What Is OxiClean?
OxiClean is a popular, broad-spectrum stain remover that removes most types of stains from laundry, carpets, and upholstery. Containing sodium percarbonate and hydrogen peroxide, the product can be used on clothes, upholstery, carpeting, and most washable surfaces.
Does Oxiclean Leave Residue on Carpet?
Yes when used too much and not rinsed correctly. It will leave a white residue if it is not rinsed well enough. I would recommend that you use half the amount of OxiClean as recommended, and then rinse with water.
Does Oxiclean Ruin Carpet?
OxiClean contains bleach and ammonia, which means it can stain your carpet if you don’t use it properly. When using OxiClean, make sure you dilute it with water first, then add that solution to your carpet stain.
How to Get Oxiclean Residue Out of Carpet
You can get OxiClean residue out of the carpet by using a product that is designed to remove stains from the carpet. Here are some of the best ways to get Oxiclean residue out of carpet:
#1. Using Dishwashing Soap
Dishwashing Soap works wonders. It is especially good for getting stains out of fabrics, but it can also be used on carpets. If you have any dish soap handy (any brand will do), then try this first before using any other methods or products.
Steps to follow:
- Take a wet cloth and apply a liberal amount of dishwashing soap to it.
- Apply the soapy water directly to the stain, rubbing gently with your fingers until the stain begins to lift. You may notice some foam forming as you clean.
- Take another clean damp cloth and blot at the area where you applied soap using gentle pressure (don’t rub).
- Continue until no more soapy residue comes up on your cloth and then rinse off your carpet with warm water until no traces of soap are left behind (be sure to get any excess water out of your carpet by blotting it down after rinsing).
#2. White Vinegar
If you don’t have any dishwashing liquid handy or want to try something different, try using white vinegar instead. White Vinegar has been proven to work as a natural cleaning agent and can be used for a variety of purposes.
White vinegar is an excellent disinfectant and can be used to kill germs, mold, mildew, and even fleas on your pet. It can also be used as a household cleaner that will eliminate odors and leave behind a fresh scent. It is important to note that white vinegar should not be used on colored carpets or fabrics.
Steps to follow:
- Dilute white vinegar in warm water until it looks like weak tea, then spray this solution onto your carpet where there is OxiClean residue.
- Let it sit for several minutes before blotting up excess moisture with paper towels or rags.
- Repeat this process until no more stain comes up when you blot at it with towels or rags.
- Repeat this process until all of the stains are removed from your carpeting.
#3. Hot Water
If your carpet has been cleaned with OxiClean, you may have a residue that is left over on the carpet. To get rid of this residue, you can use hot water to clean the carpet. Hot water can also be used in addition to some other cleaners to get rid of residue and spots from your carpet.
Steps to follow:
- Pour it over the area where there is an OxiClean stain on your carpet.
- Allow this mixture to soak into the carpet for about five minutes before continuing with your cleaning process.
- Next, use a scrub brush or broom to scrub this area in order to loosen up any dirt or debris that may be stuck in the fibers of your carpeting.
- After scrubbing, rinse any remaining residue off of your carpet with hot water and then allow the carpet to dry.
Things You Should Never Do With OxiClean
But if you don’t know how to use OxiClean correctly, it can cause damage to your clothes and other items. Here are some things you should never do with OxiClean:
It’s always important to spot-test any cleaner before using it on an entire surface or piece of clothing, but especially so when it comes to oxiclean heavy-duty stain remover because it contains bleach and other harsh chemicals that could damage your clothes over time if they aren’t removed completely during the washing process.
Always test by applying a small amount of OxiClean directly to the area where you want it to be used.
Don’t mix OxiClean with any other chemicals
Because OxiClean has many uses, you may want to add other chemicals or ingredients to it for different purposes (for example, adding bleach for disinfecting).
But doing so can cause dangerous reactions that could damage your skin or clothing and even cause permanent eye damage if they get into your eyes.
Don’t use too much
If you’re using OxiClean to clean your clothes, don’t use too much of the product. Too much will cause spots and residue on your garments, as well as discoloration due to excess use.
Use just enough to get the job done, no more than one tablespoon per a load of laundry (or follow the instructions on your particular package).
Don’t soak metals in OxiClean
Silver and other metals can tarnish when they come into contact with vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, which is two key ingredients in OxiClean. Soaking silver in either of these substances can cause serious damage to your jewelry or flatware.
Don’t use it without gloves on
If you have sensitive skin, this is especially important. Wearing gloves while using OxiClean keeps the chemicals off your hands and prevents them from getting into your eyes or on your skin.
Even if you don’t have sensitive skin, however, it’s still a good idea to wear gloves when using any cleaning product, including OxiClean, so that none of it gets on your hands or gets absorbed through your skin.