If you’ve ever brushed up against a greasy ointment or cream, you know how hard it can be to remove the stain. Preparation H is no exception. The anti-hemorrhoid medication can be hard to remove due to its oily or greasy nature.
However, there are a few things you can do to remove Preparation H stains from clothing.
Can You Get Preparation H Out of Clothing?
If you have ever had the misfortune of getting Preparation H on your clothing, you know that getting it out can be a challenge.
The key to success is to start removing the stain as quickly as possible.
Fresh stains are relatively easy to remove, but if the stain has been washed and dried you may have a much more difficult task ahead of you.
How to Get Preparation H Out of Clothing
Preparation H can be transferred to your clothing due to over-application or accidental splatter. The sooner you clean the stain, the easier it will be to remove.
Preparation H Stain Removal with Dishwashing Liquid
Remove as much of the Preparation H as you can using a paper towel.
- Rub the stained area with a paper towel to remove as much of the ointment as possible.
- Soak the stained area in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid with 1 quart of hot water in a bucket or bowl. Stir well to create suds.
- Submerge the stained area in sudsy water for 10 minutes. Work the suds into the stain with your hands and use a toothbrush or another soft-bristled brush to rub over any stubborn stains.
- To finish with the stain, launder the article of clothing according to its care instructions.
Removing Preparation H with Rubbing Alcohol
- Blot at the stain with a paper towel or clean cloth to soak up as much of the Preparation H as possible. Do not rub the stain, as this will only push it further into the fibers of your clothing.
- Apply rubbing alcohol directly to the stain as soon as possible. Rubbing alcohol can help dissolve the stain and keep it from setting in.
- Let the rubbing alcohol sit on the stain for a couple of minutes.
- Rub the stained area vigorously using a clean cloth or a brush while you are applying the alcohol. This will help lift the Preparation H out of the fabric.
- Rinse the stain with warm water after you have removed as much of it as possible with the rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth.
- Use your hands to gently rub the stain and loosen any remaining Preparation H residue.
- Repeat this process until no more.
Using Hydrogen Based Cleaner (Oxiclean)
You can also use an Enzyme-based cleaner like Oxiclean or Shout to get rid of Preparation H stains. These cleaners work by breaking down proteins and they’re safe for all types of fabrics except silk (which they may discolor).
- First, grab some hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner (Oxiclean). Spray the backside of your pants with the cleaner and then leave it to soak in for a few minutes.
- After this, turn your pants inside out and repeat the process.
- Let the pants sit for a little while longer to allow the stain to loosen up.
- When you’re done soaking your pants, place them in your washer.
- Do not add any more detergent or fabric softener — just run them through a cycle on their own.
- When you pull them out of the wash, check them over to see if there are any traces of the stain left.
- If so, repeat the entire process from start to finish until there is no visible trace of preparation H left.
Using Baking Soda to Remove Preparation H
Baking soda is an effective way to remove many types of stains, including blood and grease stains. To use baking soda to remove preparation H from clothes, follow these steps:
- Scrape away the excess Preparation H using a spoon or butter knife.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the stain and rub it into the fabric. This will help absorb some of the preparation H.
- Leave the baking soda in place for up to 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking soda with the help of a vacuum cleaner or use a brush.
- Remove any remaining preparation h with dry-cleaning solvent. Dab at the stain until it is gone.
- Then rinse your clothing under warm running water and let it air dry.
- Pour 1/4 cup of white vinegar into a container. Add 1/2 cup of water to the container. Stir the vinegar solution with a spoon until it is thoroughly mixed together.
- Dip a clean washcloth into the vinegar solution.
- Blot the stained area of clothing with the washcloth to saturate it with vinegar solution.
- Fill a bucket with enough water to completely submerge the stained area of clothing in it.
- Pour 1 tbsp. of laundry detergent into the bucket and stir it with a spoon until it is mixed in well with the water.
- Submerge the stained area of clothing in the bucket of water and laundry detergent mixture for two hours so that the stain will soak out of it.
- Place the garment in your washing machine and launder it in hot water using your normal amount of laundry detergent for laundering heavily soiled items.
How to Get Preparation H Out of Couch
- Mix equal parts of Powder-based cleaner and water, then apply it to the stain.
- Rub the stain gently with a soft cloth to work the cleaner into the fabric.
- Leave the solution on the stain for five minutes before rinsing it with clean water.
- Rinse the garment to inspect the stain.
- Repeat this process until the stain is gone, then rinse well with cold water.
- Then wash your garment as normal and allow the garment to air dry.
Removing Preparation H – Conclusion
Now that you know how to get preparation h out of clothing, there’s no need for you to ruin a perfectly good shirt. Prep H is a great product, but If it does get on your clothing, use the above methods to clean it out before washing as normal.