Tattoos are a hot topic in today’s society. You see them everywhere now, and that’s because people are wearing them. Tattoos are a great way to express yourself. Once you get one, however, you may be left with the dilemma of how to remove it from your skin and bedsheets.
Because tattoo ink is permanent, it can leave a hard to remove stains on your bedsheets, clothes, carpet
- Why Does Ink Stain?
- How to Get Tattoo Ink Out of Sheets
- Other Alternatives
- How to Get Tattoo Ink Out of Carpet
- How to Get Tattoo Ink Out of Leather
Why Does Ink Stain?
Ink stains are caused when the ink particles bond on a molecular level with fibers in the cloth. When this happens, removing the stain requires breaking that bond so that the ink particles can be removed from the material. Some of these methods are proven, while others are worth trying before you consider replacing your sheets entirely.
How to Get Tattoo Ink Out of Sheets
When it comes to getting tattoo ink out of your clothes, the best offense is a good defense. The easiest way to remove tattoo ink from fabrics is to treat them preemptively before setting the ink. This can be done by spraying the fabric with hairspray, scrubbing it with rubbing alcohol, or saturating it with liquid laundry detergent.
Ink stains on clothing don’t have to be permanent, but they do require special care when washing. If you’re dealing with an old stain, you can still get it out of clothes using products you probably already have in your home.
It’s not just about removing the stain. A permanent patch of ink on clothes will continue to wear down each time you wash it. For that reason, it’s important to wash the stain as soon as possible.
Using Rubbing Alcohol
- Blot the stain. Using a dry cloth or paper towel, gently blot the stained area until no more ink is transferred from the sheet.
- Apply rubbing alcohol to a cloth. Moisten a clean cloth with rubbing alcohol and dab at the stain. Do not rub or press the fabric, as this will spread the stain further into the sheet. Continue until no more of the stain comes up on the cloth.
- Launder as usual. Place both sides of the sheet in your washing machine and wash as directed by the manufacturer (usually with warm water). The stain should disappear completely during this cycle.
- Repeat if necessary. If some of the ink remains after laundering, repeat steps 2 and 3 again until all traces of it are gone.
Rubbing alcohol is the most common and effective way to remove ink from fabric. But if you don’t have any alcohol on hand, there are alternatives. Here are a few to try:
Nail Polish remover
You can remove ink stains from your sheets with nail polish remover. Be sure to pick a non-acetone kind, though. Acetone will take out the color of your sheets! This is a great way to get rid of ink stains that have been there for a little while.
If you want to try using bleach to remove an ink stain from your sheets, mix two cups of bleach with one gallon of water. Let the sheets soak in the mixture for 30 minutes, but don’t let them stay in there too long.
The bleach will take out the color from your sheets if you leave them in there for too long. After 30 minutes, rinse the sheets thoroughly in cold water and then wash them as normal.
Bleach removes color from clothes so it is best to try this method on white sheets.
Vinegar And Cornstarch
If you want to try something less harsh than bleach, you can make a paste out of vinegar and cornstarch. Mix equal parts vinegar and cornstarch together until it forms a thick paste. Rub the mixture into the stain and let it sit 30 minutes or 2 hours before throwing it into the washing machine like normal.
How to Get Tattoo Ink Out of Carpet
Tattoo ink is very difficult to remove from clothes and carpets, as it has a strong composition that expands when in contact with water. In fact, tattoo ink is considered permanent, which means it will always stay on your clothes and carpet. However, there are some ways to remove the stain.
In order to get ink out of your carpet, you can use one of the following methods:
1. Using alcohol
This is one of the most common ways to remove ink from your carpet. You can use alcohol as a cleaning agent for this purpose. However, it will not work with every kind of ink. For example, if you have water-based ink on your carpet, you can use alcohol to clean it. But if the ink is oil-based, then you need to apply another method instead.
2. Use non-sticky hairsprays
If you do not have alcohol at home, you can also use non-sticky hairsprays because they contain a high amount of alcohol which can be used to remove ink stains from your carpet. The main advantage of this method is that it is very easy and convenient. You just need to spray the hairspray over the stained area and rub it with a clean cloth until all the stains disappear completely.
3. Use nail polish remover to remove ink from your carpet
However, make sure that you do not pour too much nail polish remover on your carpet because it may cause some damage to the fabric or color of your carpet since it contains acetone which can be very harmful to your carpet.
How to Get Tattoo Ink Out of Leather
If you have a leather item that has a tattoo ink stain, do not despair. It is possible to remove the stain without harming the leather, even if it has been there for quite some time.
Things You Will Need:
- Acetone-free nail polish remover
- Small, soft cloth
- Dip a small soft cloth into the acetone-free nail polish remover.
- Rub the stained area of the leather gently with the cloth. Continue rubbing until the tattoo ink stain is gone. The ink will transfer to the cloth as it is removed from the leather item. Change to a clean part of the cloth frequently.
- Rinse off any remaining nail polish remover by dipping a clean soft cloth into a bowl of water and wringing it out well.
- Rub over the area where you used the nail polish remover until no more appears on the cloth.
- Let air dry or pat dry with a clean towel.
Even with all of these measures, however, it is possible to get ink on your sheets. If you do have ink stains, follow up with a thorough wash. This will likely remove the stains from your sheets and get them looking as good as new (removal may require several reapplications of stain removers and detergents). This can be an annoyance, but it’s far better than having to replace your sheets entirely.