Last Updated on 8 months by Susan Mayrich
If you want to know how to get weed smell out of clothes at home, try these six effective methods! The list is composed of natural ways and the safest products to remove cannabis odor on different types of fabrics.
We’ve also included tips to mask the scent and prevent cannabis smoke from sticking and smelling on clothes. Some of these things can also work on other fabrics around the house, like carpets and furniture, so you can keep your smoking room free from weed odor!
Besides stubborn smells on clothing and different fabrics, you can also browse our blog for tips on removing stains and residues. For example, do you know how to remove honey from fabric?
6 Proven Methods On How To Get Weed Smell Out Of Clothes At Home
Did you know that the smell of marijuana can linger on clothing for up to six weeks? Here are some methods you can do to keep your fabric materials from smelling after you smoke.
Cold water and fragrant laundry detergent
The easiest way to get the smell of cannabis smoke on your clothes is by using a fragrant laundry detergent. This is also a safe option for most fabric fibers, whether your clothes are made of polyester or cotton.
- Check the laundry detergent label to see if it’s safe for your clothing fabric
- Launder your clothes as usual by hand or in the washing machine, but use cold water in the cycle
- Hang dry the smoking clothes outside instead of using the dryer
If you’re looking for an option that uses a common household item, try vinegar to get the marijuana odor out of clothes! You can use it with the washer as well.
- Wash the clothing items with your regular detergent
- Add white vinegar to the rinse cycle of the washing machine; if you’re washing the clothes by hand, just soak the fabrics in vinegar
- Rewash the clothes with water and fragrant laundry detergent
- Dry the clothes outdoors to ensure the weed and vinegar scent will be eliminated completely
Vinegar is a wonderful all-around remover of smells on different fabric types. Here’s the best method to use vinegar if you also want to know how to keep clothes from smelling musty in the closet.
You can incorporate baking soda in many ways to remove cannabis odor from clothes. You can just sprinkle it on your clothes before doing any of the tips discussed in this article or follow the steps below:
- Make a soaking solution of water and baking soda, and let your smoking clothes sit in the mixture for 20 minutes
- Wash the clothes as usual with the recommended laundry products for the type of fabric fibers they have
- Dry the clothes in the dryer, or much better, take them outside and dry them under natural sunlight
If you’re looking for a more natural method to get the odor from your clothes after smoking cannabis, you can make a solution with lemon juice. Then, combine it with drying out in the sun to eliminate the scent.
- Spray the clothes you used for smoking with a mixture of lemon juice and water
- Leave the garment to dry outside in the sun for hours
- You can then wash the fabrics with your regular laundry products if the cannabis smoke odor persists
Remember the earlier method where you could use baking soda to get weed smell out of fabric? If it doesn’t completely eliminate the marijuana odor, combine baking soda with hydrogen peroxide!
- Make a solution of equal parts baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, then mix them with two parts of hot water
- To avoid fading of fibers, test the solution first on a small part of the fabric
- If there is no reaction, use it in the cycle like you would with the vinegar method earlier
- Alternatively, fill the washing machine with water at the hottest temperature possible for the type of clothes you have
- Add your regular laundry detergent, followed by a cup of hydrogen peroxide
- Put the clothes and wash them as usual
- Repeat as needed, then hang outside under sunlight
Vodka can also remove the weed scent from clothes. This is another option if you don’t have the previously mentioned products.
- Make a solution of equal parts vodka and water
- Spray the clothes that smell like cannabis
- Air-dry the fabrics under the sun
- Wash the clothes as usual if the cannabis smoke odor persists
What Are Some Natural Methods For Getting Rid Of Weed Smell?
The most natural way to remove the weed smell from smoking clothes is to let the sun do its work. Here are some tips if you prefer this option than using chemicals and harsh products:
- Hang the clothes over your clothesline and place them outside
- You must place the clothes with weed smell outdoors so they can get sunlight and fresh air
- You can also do this for other things in the house that have absorbed cannabis odor
- Check the clothes after a few hours if they still smell like marijuana
What Are Some Home Remedies For Getting Weed Smell Out Of Clothes?
Looking for a home remedy to remove weed odor from clothes? Here’s another way to use the handy baking soda to remove the compounds within the fabric fibers causing the smells.
This is also a safe trick if you can’t wash your garment:
- Sprinkle and cover the clothing with baking soda; be generous with the application, especially if the scent is strong
- Put the fabric with baking soda inside a bag and close it
- Let the clothes sit inside the bag for hours to help the baking soda absorb the weed smell effectively
- Take out the clothes and shake off the baking soda
- If you can still smell the cannabis odor, you can check any process discussed in this article and use the one that’s safe for the fabric you have
What Are Some Commercial Products For Getting Weed Smell Out Of Clothes?
If your clothes are not made of wool and other delicate fabrics, a chemical product you can use to get the cannabis scent out of them is bleach. Make sure to follow the product label and check your clothing tag to see if you can use bleach, then follow the tips below:
- Use color-safe bleach if your clothes are colored
- Follow the bleach label and dilute it with water
- Soak the smoking clothes in the solution for 10 minutes
- Rinse the garment with cold water
- You can also wash the clothes with regular laundry detergent, then dry them under the sun to completely eliminate the cannabis odor
How To Prevent Weed Smell On Clothes
The thing is, you should know how to prevent the cannabis scent from sticking to clothes when you smoke. Here are some tips to avoid smelling like cannabis in the long run:
- When smoking, dedicate smoking clothes made from something natural like cotton
- Smoke outside the house or by the window as much as possible; alternatively, choose an empty room with ventilation, so there are no other things like curtains, furniture, and carpet that can smell like marijuana smoke
- Opt for smoking clothes made from natural fibers because smells tend to stick to synthetic fabrics much easier; cotton and linen clothes won’t smell like weed as quickly compared to polyester and nylon
- Remove the clothes and wash them as soon as possible after smoking
How To Mask Weed Smell On Clothes
If you can’t immediately replace or wash your clothes and you need products to mask the weed smell on them, try these methods:
Spray clothing with fragrant sprays or odor-absorbing products
Some people swear by Febreze and other odor-absorbing sprays to mask the weed odor on clothes. There are also products designed to eliminate smells, but make sure they’re made from ingredients safe for your fabric type.
Soak fabrics with essential oils
You can also put your smoking clothes that smell like marijuana inside a bag. Then, add several drops of your favorite essential oil and let them soak for two to three hours to mask the smoking odor.
Use dry cleaning products
The dry cleaning chemicals can penetrate through the fibers and eliminate the cause of weed smell. However, they can be pricey, and you must follow the method of using them correctly.
Why Do My Clothes Smell Like Weed?
So why do clothes smell like weed? When smoking, we can already expect that whatever we’re wearing will automatically absorb the odors.
The short answer is that cannabis contains highly fragrant terpenes. They easily cling to fabrics and surfaces like the carpets and furniture in the room where you smoke.
How Long Does The Smell Of Weed Smoke Last On Clothes?
The best way to avoid and eliminate the smell of cannabis on clothes is by immediately washing the clothes you wear after smoking. Otherwise, the smell can linger for six weeks!
Different factors can affect the weed smell. Remember that wearing synthetic fabrics like polyester will mean they will absorb odor for longer than natural fibers like cotton because natural fibers are more breathable.
And finally, expect the more you smoke, the longer and stronger the weed plant smell can linger on your garment. But, of course, you can always use a separate set of smoking clothes, so you don’t need to be hassled in removing the marijuana odor every time you smoke.
And that’s it! You just learned how to get weed smell out of clothes using cold water and fragrant laundry detergent, vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide, and vodka.
It’s also best to dry them under the sun, but choose smoking clothes made from cotton and other natural fibers as much as possible. Remember that synthetic fabrics absorb smells faster and longer!
Then, wash your clothes immediately and always smoke outdoors or in a ventilated area.
Did you know that our blog also features tips for other clothing FAQs? For example, here’s how to make a durag out of a shirt.