Last Updated on 5 hours by Susan Mayrich
We found out how to realign needle on Brother sewing machine by changing it to the default setting. This article will also teach you how to change the needle position on your Brother sewing machine.
The steps are based on Brother’s tutorial itself, so you feel confident that you won’t accidentally damage your unit. Furthermore, this article includes troubleshooting tips and solutions regarding the needle position on the sewing machine.
Speaking of which, why not read how to adjust the needle position on a sewing machine as well? Remember that you must know how to set your needle correctly to avoid having it broken or experiencing stitch issues.
How Do You Realign Needle On Brother Sewing Machine?
How to realign the needle to the default center on a Brother sewing machine
Before anything else, always consult the Brother manual of the specific model you have.
- Turn off the Brother sewing machine
- Locate the stitch selection key and hold down the (+) side
- Turn on the sewing machine and release the (+) side
- The needle on the Brother sewing machine should be reset to the center position
How to adjust the needle position on a Brother sewing machine
- Turn off the Brother sewing machine
- Locate the stitch selection key and hold down the (-) side
- Turn on the sewing machine and release the (-) side
- The needle on the Brother sewing machine should be changed to the raised position
- If changing the needle position to the down position, repeat the same steps
- In some Brother sewing machines, you can also change the needle position from left to right
- Locate the stitch width dial
- Set the stitch width dial to 0 to have the needle in the right position
- Set the stitch width dial to 5 to have the needle in the left position
- To return the needle to the default center position, move the stitch width dial between 2 and 3
Why Is My Brother Sewing Machine Needle Hitting The Foot?
Check the sewing machine accessories
The sewing machine needle on your Brother sewing machine might be hitting the foot if the presser foot or needle itself is incorrect. For example, every stitch type must use a specific presser foot.
But if the presser foot is correct, the next thing to check is if the needle is correct and damage-free. The needle plate should also be correctly installed, and that you’re using the right stitch width so that the needle won’t touch the presser foot or needle plate.
For a twin needle that hits the foot, set the sewing machine correctly
If the twin needle on your Brother sewing machine keeps hitting the presser foot, you want to check how you installed the needle. It should be pushed up into the needle stopper.
You can also see if you tightened the needle clamp well during installation. And finally, remember that twin needle sewing must use a stitch width of 5mm or less.
We recommend reading why does my sewing machine needle keeps breaking for other reasons and solutions.
Why Isn’t My Needle Going Up And Down On My Brother Sewing Machine?
The machine is still in the bobbin winding position
Remember that you need to push the winder to the left again after winding the bobbin to engage sewing. If the shaft is still in the right position, the machine won’t sew.
The sewing machine belt is off the motor
Check if you plugged the foot controller securely onto the pin jack outlet, then turn the sewing machine on. Press the foot controller lightly to see if the sewing machine will run.
Press the foot controller harder; if the machine is noisy with the needle still immobile, bring your Brother sewing machine to an authorized repair center. This can indicate that the belt has slipped off the pulley on the motor.
How Do You Realign A Sewing Machine Needle?
- Read the manual of your sewing machine model
- Determine what is the default needle position on your unit, whether it’s on the left or center
- The needle should enter the needle plate hole smoothly if it’s on the center
- The needle should match the leftmost position if its default is on the left
- Locate the screw that you can loosen to change the needle alignment noted on its manual
- Check the hook-needle clearance so the needle is positioned perfectly front to back
- Locate the set screw that you can loosen and reposition the needle bar assembly
What Is Needle Drop Position On Sewing Machine?
Some sewing machines are capable of the Needle Drop or Needle Down feature where you can stop sewing with the needle still in the down position. This way, you can raise the presser foot and reposition the fabric, which is advantageous for oversized projects like quilts.
Was this tutorial helpful? We just learned how to realign needle on Brother sewing machine, and it’s as easy as locating the stitch selection key.
You’ll realign the needle to the default center by holding down the plus side of the key and then releasing it once you turn on the machine. You can do the same to the minus side to change the needle to the up or down position as well.
We hope you learned a lot about needle position troubleshooting; leave us a question below if you still have any.
1 thought on “How To Realign Needle On Brother Sewing Machine”
needle hits on side only on zig zag foot what am I doing wrong?