Last Updated on 2 months by Sewingfeed
Are you wondering how to remove perfume smell from clothes? This article will give you 5 tips on how to get rid of that pesky scent. Whether it’s expensive or cheap scents, we’ve got your back.
Some people are able to wear perfume without it becoming overpowering, while others find themselves struggling with the strong scent.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy solution to remove the smell of perfume from your clothes, this blog post is just what you need.
Quick Tips To Remove Perfume Smell From Clothes
- Hanging clothes outside
- Lemon juice pre-wash
- With baking soda
- Using vinegar
- Laundry detergent
- Scent-free detergent
Ways To Remove Perfume Smell From Clothes
Here are the ways on how to remove perfume smell from clothes:
#1. Scent-free detergent
A scent-free detergent can help get rid of perfumes. This is the best method for any clothing that is delicate and doesn’t stand up well to machine wash. After using the scent-free detergent, there should be no smell remaining on your clothes. This is especially helpful if you’re looking for a quick and easy solution.
#2. Laundry detergent
- Add a scoop of laundry detergent and a tablespoon of borax to your washing machine.
- Let it run through one cycle before adding clothes.
#3. Using vinegar
Vinegar is a good choice for removing the scent of perfume from clothing. Before doing anything, make sure that you don’t have any fabric or material which is reactive to vinegar as you can ruin it if it comes into contact with vinegar. Vinegar works well on all colors and types of clothes from workout gear to delicate silk.
- To use vinegar, As usual, wash your clothes and use the recommended amount of unscented laundry detergent.
- Add 1 cup of vinegar to the washer during the rinse cycle.
- Allow the washer to complete its cycle.
#4. With baking soda
Baking soda is another good option for getting rid of the smell of perfume from clothing. The benefits of using baking soda are that it’s cheap, environmentally friendly, and won’t damage any fabrics.
- To use baking soda, Simply fill a bucket or sink halfway with lukewarm water.
- Add ½ cup of baking soda.
- Then soak the affected garment and let it soak for 5 – 10 hours or overnight
- Let it sit overnight, if possible.
- Add a half cup of baking soda to the wash as usual.
- Repeat process if necessary.
#5. Lemon juice pre-wash
Dilute your perfume by spraying lemon juice on it. This is one of the easiest ways to get rid of that pesky perfume smell.
- All you have to do is to mix 1:1 of water and lemon juice into the bottle and shake it up until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Spray the mixture on the garment
- Let it sit for about 30 or 40 minutes
- Then put in the washer filled with water
- Add 1/2 of baking soda
- Wash as normal
#6. Hanging clothes outside
If you have an outdoor space, hanging your clothes outside is a good way to get rid of strong perfume smells. This way, you can air out the clothes.
How To Remove The Perfume Smell From Clothes Without Washing
Here are the ways to remove perfume smell from clothes without washing them:
#1. Spray with a mixture of water and lemon juice
Lemon juice acts as a natural bleach for white clothes. The best thing about this one is that it is considered to be inexpensive and effective for removing the smell of perfume from clothes.
#2. Dryer sheet
The best way to remove the smell of perfume from clothes is to use a dryer sheet. Put a dryer sheet into your clothes and put them in the dryer, and the smell will be gone for good.
#3. Hanging outside
You can remove the smell of perfume from clothes by placing it outside in the sun for a few hours.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are the answers to your questions:
How do you neutralize the smell of perfume?
Using baking soda, citrus, vinegar, and coffee grounds are the best ways to neutralize the smell of perfume.
- First, take a small amount of ground coffee or pebbles and place them in a bowl. Moisten them slightly and wait for up 3 hours.
- Next, take your fabric and sprinkle over the moist ground coffee until it’s completely damp (you may need more than one spoonful).
- Wait another 24 hours before taking it out of the bag and putting it back on your shelf again. The smell should be much less pungent than before.
How long does perfume smell last on clothes?
Perfume typically lasts 12 to 18 hours, sometimes longer than a week but the chemical esters that create odors can last much longer.
Does perfume smell go away?
Yes. The perfume smell can go away. The perfume starts off as a liquid and quickly evaporates into gas form. As the scent fades, it lingers on your skin and clothes (and is still detectable up to 10 hours later). The molecules that makeup fragrance bond to human skin oils, which bind them tightly to the surface for hours at a time. This gives the perfume its lasting power.
Is it better to spray perfume on clothes or skin?
It is better to spray perfume on clothes rather than skin. Many people find spraying perfume on clothes allows the scent to linger and be less overpowering. Spray perfume on clothes so they can last longer. The fragrance will evaporate quicker if sprayed directly onto the skin, and the scent might not last as long as desired.
Is it ok to spray perfume on clothes?
Yes, it is okay. Though the oils in the perfume can wear away the fibers in your clothes, causing them to mat and yellow.
How do you make perfume smell last longer?
Perfume will last longer on some surfaces than others. Your perfumes can last longer on some materials, while they may evaporate quicker from others. If the perfume is important to you, test it out on your desired surface before bathing or spray-painting away.
It’s A Wrap!
Now, it’s clear how to remove perfume smell from clothes! There are six easy ways that you can try. Have a great day!