We all have been there. You wash your clothes, and then you notice that they still smell of sweat. Some people might not care about this too much, but for some, it is a really big problem.
There is nothing worse than having to wear a shirt with lingering underarm odor, so we have put together a list of tips for how to remove underarm odor from clothes.
What causes Underarm Odor from Clothes
Before you go through the process of removing an underarm odor from clothes, you should know what is causing it. Once you find the cause, you can find an effective treatment for it.
Different people have different causes for why they may have an underarm odor. Deodorant and antiperspirant are usually the culprits if it is not a health condition. Other possible causes of this odor include bacteria on your skin, certain foods that you eat, hormones, and genetics.
How to Remove Underarm Odor from Clothes
Distilled White Vinegar
White vinegar is a powerful and inexpensive way to get rid of the odor. Vinegar neutralizes bacteria which are one cause of this odor.
- The first step in removing underarm odor from clothes is to soak the smelly fabric in a solution of water and vinegar for 1 or 2 hours.
- Wash as normal.
- Tumble or air dry
- Repeat this process if the smell is y4still in clothes
Alternatively, fill your washer with water and 1/3 cup white vinegar. Allow the clothing to soak for 20 minutes before washing it as usual.
By getting rid of the underarm sweat bacteria there is less chance that they will be spread through your clothes when you are done washing them.
Remove Underarm Odor with Baking Soda
Baking soda is another great way to remove underarm odor from clothes because it can get rid of the smell by neutralizing bacteria on the fabrics
- It is recommended that you create a paste of baking soda and hot water.
- Apply the paste to the armpits of your clothes and leave it for 30 minutes – 2 hours
- Then launder as normal remember to follow the garment care instructions.
Aspirin and Cream of Tartar
- Combine two white, non-coated aspirin tablets with a cup of hot water and a tablespoon of cream of tartar.
- Scrub the solution over your underarm with an old toothbrush to remove the smell
- Let the mixture remain on the smelly area for aboutt 30 minutes.
- Launder as usual.
- Repeat the process, if necessary.
Another to remove the underarm odor from clothes is by using lemon juice. Lemons are a natural odor remover, so you’re getting rid of the bad smell
First, make lemon juice
- Mix lemon juice with hot water leave it to cool
- Soak the affected garments in the mixture.
- Leave them for 20 minutes to an hour
- Rinse with cold water
- Lastly launder as normal
- Dry the clothes outside
Get rid of underarm smell with Salt
Salt is not only used for flavoring your food but can be an effective way to remove underarm odor from clothes by killing bacterias causing the odor.
- To remove the smell, mix half cup of salt and water.
- Allow the mixture to dissolve.
- Soak the smelly garments and let it rest for about 3 – 5 hours.
- Launder as usual.
- Repeat the process if necessary.
Mouthwash is a liquid typically containing alcohol or ethanol, glycerin, water, flavorants, and colorants. Mouth washes work like magic for getting rid of odors.
Pour several capfuls on the armpit regions and leave for 30 minutes before washing as usual.
How to remove underarm odor from clothes without washing
If you don’t have time to wash your clothing throughout a full cycle to full the underarm odor, follow these steps.
- Mix an qual amount of disilled white vinegar and water.
- Put the mixture in spray bottle and shake to combine the mixture well.
- You can also add drops of essentila oil of your choice.
- Spray the mixture on the stinky areas of the fabric
- Let it air dry.