Last Updated on 6 months by Susan Mayrich
If you want to learn how to sew two pieces of fabric together with sewing machine, here are two steps. You can also find out the best stitches when connecting two materials in this article. And as a bonus, we’ll talk about options for those who can’t use a sewing machine.
But speaking of sewing fabrics together, did you know that you can also make a quilt with a sewing machine? Read our tutorial for that enjoyable project that is possible even in a standard sewing machine model.
How To Stitch Two Pieces Of Fabric Together In A Sewing Machine Seamlessly
Step 1. Align the fabrics and prepare the machine
- Wash, dry, and iron the fabrics
- Align the two fabrics and pin them together with adequate spacing to prevent the materials from gathering under the sewing machine
- Make the necessary adjustments with the attachment of the two, so you’ll know where you must begin the stitching
- Thread the sewing machine and use the proper thread and needle for the fabrics you’re connecting
- Select the ideal stitch, stitch length, and width for the materials
- Test your stitches on scrap fabric, including the tension you want for the seams
Step 2. Start sewing
- Check the pinned materials once more and remove the wrinkles or folds, especially at the front side
- Place the needle ¼ inch away from the seam as your starting point
- Backstitch at the beginning and end of the stitching
- Work slowly to keep the materials aligned perfectly
- Do not pull on the fabric, as this can affect the stitches
- Cut the excess materials to reduce bulk
- Iron the seams open without applying too much pressure
What Is The Best Stitch For Sewing Two Pieces Of Fabric Together?
When sewing two fabric pieces together, the ladder stitch or blind stitch is among the best stitches. The stitches will be hidden, so the connected fabrics are finished seamlessly. In sewing machines, you can typically select between a straight blind stitch or stretch blind stitch, depending on your material.
Do you know what is a blind stitch sewing machine? You can even get this specialized device if you’ll make seams often with ladder stitches.
You must know how to backstitch or lock stitch when connecting fabrics. With backstitching, you’re securing your work beginning and end to keep the stitches from unraveling. You only need to press the backstitch button in sewing machines, and the unit will automatically sew in reverse for you.
A common way to connect materials and for finishing seams is the zigzag stitch. It’s a fantastic way to keep the fabrics from fraying, and sewing machines can help you get a narrower or wider stitch to suit your project. However, remember to adjust the tension so the fabric won’t pucker or create a lip when connecting two pieces.
What Is It Called When You Sew Two Pieces Of Fabric Together?
A seam is what you call the result when you sew two pieces of fabric together. Do not confuse it with the hem because, on the contrary, the hem is only one piece of cloth with its edge turned and sewn. Baste is also another term, but it refers to when you join fabrics together with removable stitches.
You can read about what is baste in sewing to avoid confusing it with a seam.
How Do You Sew 3 Pieces Of Fabric Together?
- Select the right needle, thread, and foot for the sewing multiple layers
- Set the sewing machine to a straight stitch with a length of 3.5 to 4.5
- Lift the presser foot and use a wedge if the layers are thick
- Pull the handwheel towards you to ease the fabric to the machine
- Make flat seams instead of the usual regular straight seam
- Grade the seams to reduce bulk
- Use a wide hem with bias binding
- Press to finish
How Do You Sew Two Pieces Of Fabric Without A Sewing Machine?
- Double thread the needle and tie the end with a tail
- Use a straight stitch as it is fast and relatively easy
- Leave at least ¼ inch as seam allowance
- Pin the wrinkle-free fabrics accordingly
- Remove the pins as you sew
- Backstitch when you’re finished
- Cut the excess threads and lessen bulk by trimming the seam allowance if needed
- Press the seams open
How do you attach fabric without sewing?
If you don’t want to sew, you can always attach materials with fabric glue. These products are machine washable and clear, but you can always opt for permanent ones, especially with trims and hems. And if you’re not working with delicate materials that can’t be heated, you can always use fusible bonding tape.
And that’s it! To recap how to sew two pieces of fabric together with sewing machine, you only need to align them perfectly, remove wrinkles and folds, and then sew with a ladder or zigzag stitch while also backstitching at the beginning and end. You can even hand-sew two fabrics together with a straight stitch.
We hope this was a helpful tutorial. Let us know in the comments if you have any questions.