Jeans are a very important part of our wardrobe. They are not only essential for everyday life but also fashion. You can wear it with a shirt and some other thing to look very smart and stylish.
The struggle is real. Stiff thick jeans are no fun, especially when you have to wear them to an important meeting or event.
So, if you have stiff thick jeans you can try following the tips below to make them soft.
There are many ways to soften the jeans including putting them in a clothes dryer, using baking soda, vinegar, and salt.
This blog will look at how to soften stiff thick jeans with these simple methods.
- Why Do Jeans Get Stiff?
- How to Soften Stiff Jeans with Vinegar
- How to Soften Jeans in Washer
- Using Warm Water and Shampoo
- How to Soften Jeans with Fabric Softener
- Using Hydrogen Peroxide
- How to Soften Jeans with Salt
- Using a washer and a Dryer
- Using Baking Soda to Soften Denim
- How to Soften Denim Jacket Without Washing
- How to Make Jeans Soft After Washing
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Remove Blood Stains From Jeans
- How to Remove stains from white jeans
- How to Get Smell Out of Black Jeans The Best Way
- How To Fix A Hole In Jeans Without A Patch
- How to Sew a Patch on Jeans Using 2 Simple Methods
Why Do Jeans Get Stiff?
Jeans are sensitive to heat, they are more likely to get stiff after being exposed to heat. So when you wash them in hot water, the heat will break down the fibers in the jeans, which causes them to shrink and become rough.
Jeans get stiff when you wear them for a long time, or when the fabric is not made of good quality. But did you know that jeans can also get stiff if they are washed incorrectly?
How to Soften Stiff Thick Jeans With These 5 Ways
How to Soften Stiff Jeans with Vinegar
Vinegar is a natural ingredient that can be used to soften stiff jeans. This method does not require any specialized materials, just the right amount of vinegar and water.
- Soften jeans with vinegar, simply get a cup of distilled white vinegar and mix with enough hot water to soak the jeans.
- Place your jeans in the bowl and ensure that they are fully submerged.
- Keep the jeans in the mixture for about 20 minutes until they are as soft as you want them to be.
- Next, remove the jeans from the mixture, rinse them in cold water until most of the vinegar smell is gone.
How to Soften Jeans in Washer
Using a washing machine can be another way to soften stiff thick jeans. Just run them through a washer and we are good to go.
- Change your jeans inside-out
- Place them into the washing machine.
- Fill the washer with warm water.
- You can also add in one cup of white vinegar.
- Add the appropriate amount of detergent to the load.
- Set the washer to a warm or medium temperature water setting.
- After, remove jeans from the washer, rinse with cold water.
- Then hang them to dry.
Using Warm Water and Shampoo
- Just fill a sink with hot water and add some drops of shampoo, add your jeans to the solution.
- Let them soak for about 30 minutes to get rid of excess stiffness out of your new jeans.
- When you see that they are good to go, remove them from the solution.
- Rinse with cold water and let me dry.
How to Soften Jeans with Fabric Softener
Using fabric softener on jeans is another great way to soften stiff thick jeans. Fabric softener changes the structure and feels of clothes permanently.
- To soften stiff jeans, fill the washing machine with cold water. Then add a cup of fabric softener.
- Remove the jeans from the water.
- Finally, lay them out to dry or dry them on low heat.
Using Hydrogen Peroxide
- Mix 1 cup of water with 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in a bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Use this simple solution to soften your jeans.
How to Soften Jeans with Salt
A helpful and unique way to soften your jeans without the need for high temperatures or harsh chemicals.
- To soften jeans by using salt, turn them inside out and sprinkle the inside of your jeans.
- Fill up a large tub with warm water. Make sure it’s a bowl that is big enough to soak the jeans.
- Get a good amount of salt and dump it in the tub.
- Dip your jeans in the solution (where you want to soften)
- Soak them for 30 mins – 1 hour to absorb the saltwater right before washing them as normal.
- Rinse with cool water and hang dry.
Using a washer and a Dryer
- Wash your clothes in the washing machine with laundry soap and on a heavy cycle.
- Then dry it several times this will weaken the fibers.
- You can add a little bit of bleach to your washing machine. Be careful though! It can damage your clothes if you use them too much.
Using Baking Soda to Soften Denim
There’s no need to throw away your favorite pair of denim jeans just because they’re getting way too stiff, try this simple trick first!. Use baking soda, with help from your washing machine, to soften stiff denim.
- Take a look at the tag on the jeans and check the washing instructions
- Wash your jeans with hot water in the washing machine.
- Mix the baking soda with a bit of water and wash it through again.
- Once you’ve rinsed them, run a towel over them until they’re soft to touch, then hang them up to dry.
How to Soften Denim Jacket Without Washing
Your denim jacket doesn’t have to stand up for your punk rock attitude all by itself. You can soften it up by soaking it in vinegar and making it much more wearable in the process.
- Fill a small basin with hot water (8 cups) and add a cup of white distilled vinegar.
- Soak your jacket in the mixture for several hours or overnight rubbing it with your hands from time to time.
How to Make Jeans Soft After Washing
After the jeans are dried, place them in a dryer with a couple of damp cloths or towels to weigh down the jeans. Toss in a dryer sheet and then turn to low heat for about 5 minutes. Then press “cool down” mode and run for a couple more minutes.
To soften new jeans, turn them inside out, put them in a washing machine with cold water and a capful of fabric softener to help soften the material.
Let the cycle run then pull the jeans out and place them in a drier set to the lowest heat setting. Once they’re nearly dry, remove them and let them dry on a low heat setting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you put fabric softener on jeans?
Yes, you can use fabric softener on jeans but a small amount should be used to avoid ruining the jeans.
How do you soften stiff blue jeans?
- Combine 7 cups of hot water with one cup of white household vinegar
- – Soak your jeans in the solution.
- – Let the jeans sit in the solution for three to four hours.
- – Rinse the jeans with hot water and let them air dry.
How often should you wash jeans?
If you can’t see dirt on your jeans, it’s best to let them sit a little longer. The general rule is 10 wears times before a wash, but depending on the fabric you can stretch this rule a little more.
Washing your jeans too often will cause them to lose color and fade prematurely.
Does salt soften denim?
To get a softer texture, you can use salt. It’s safe and will help soften your jeans. Salt is an easy & affordable way to soften your pair of jeans for comfortable wear.