Last Updated on 3 hours by Susan Mayrich
If you want to learn how to use Sunbeam Mini sewing machine, it’s only two steps. We’ll start with preparing then sewing with a Sunbeam Mini correctly. You will also find out other basic setups, such as tension adjustment and changing the needle on a Sunbeam Mini.
Speaking of mini sewing machines, you can read how to use a handheld sewing machine as well.
How To Use Sunbeam Mini Sewing Machine Correctly
The following are the instructions for sewing with the Sunbeam Mini Sewing Machine model SB08.
Step 1. Preparing the Sunbeam Mini
- Check if the sewing machine is turned off
- Place four AA batteries into the machine’s compartment
- Check if you threaded the machine correctly
Step 2. Sewing with the Sunbeam Mini
- Raise the needle by turning the handwheel clockwise
- Lift the presser foot lever at the back of the Sunbeam Mini to raise the presser foot and place the fabric underneath it
- Align the fabric’s seam direction with the presser foot before lowering it
- Locate the speed button at the front of Sunbeam Mini and select your desired speed
- Turn the sewing machine on or press the pedal to begin stitching
- Guide the fabric gently as it feeds through the foot
- Turn the sewing machine off after you finished sewing
- Turn the handwheel clockwise to raise the needle and lift the lever to raise the presser foot
- Pull the material towards you, but have about 10 inches of thread between it and the Sunbeam Mini
- Cut close to the fabric, so you’ll still have an excess thread in the direction of the foot and towards you
How to adjust the tension on a Sunbeam Mini sewing machine?
Note that, like most sewing machines, the Sunbeam Mini has its tension pre-adjusted during manufacturing. The tension setting should suffice for most projects, but when the stitches are too loose or too tight, you can locate the tension screw for adjustments. Just remember to make minor adjustments when turning the screw.
- If the stitches are too tight, loosen them by turning the tension screw counterclockwise; usually for sewing heavyweight materials
- If the stitches are too loose, tighten them by turning the tension screw counterclockwise; usually for sewing lightweight materials
- The bobbin tension of the Sunbeam Mini is not adjustable
How to change the needle on a Sunbeam Mini sewing machine?
- Raise the needle as high as you can by turning the handwheel clockwise
- Turn the needle clamp screw counterclockwise with a screwdriver to loosen it
- Pull the needle down from the clamp to remove it
- Position the new needle under the clamp so that its flat side faces against it
- Push the needle towards the clamp as far as you can
- Tighten the needle clamp screw by turning it clockwise while holding the needle
Read how to store sewing needles so you’ll have various types ready for different sewing projects.
How Do I Thread A Sunbeam Mini Sewing Machine?
- Pull the threaded spindle upward to extend it completely
- Put the spool on the spindle
- Pull the spindle out and guide it through the bobbin hole before replacing the spindle
- Pull the thread through the thread guide at the front of the Sunbeam Mini
- Lead the thread to the second thread guide and over the tension adjusting screw
- Have the thread between the washers behind the screw and pull it through the third thread guide
- Guide the thread to the fourth thread guide and take-up lever
- Lead the thread down into the fifth thread guide and another
- Thread the needle eye front to back or use a threader
- Lift the presser foot lever and pull about 10 inches of thread under the foot and towards the rear of the machine
How Do You Put A Bobbin In A Sunbeam Mini Sewing Machine?
- Remove the bobbin cover and put the threaded bobbin into the holder
- Allocate 10 inches of thread from the holder and return the cover
- Turn the handwheel clockwise to lower the needle and pick up the bobbin thread
- Turn the handwheel again to raise it as high as possible
- Raise the presser foot and lead the spool thread to the front and up to catch the bobbin thread
- Pull both threads away from you and under the presser foot
- Always check how you threaded the machine to avoid issues while sewing
How to wind a bobbin on a Sunbeam Mini sewing machine?
- Remove the bobbin from the case
- Put the thread spool to its spindle and hold the empty bobbin with one hand
- Have the thread from the spindle through the bobbin rim hole inside out
- Leave the thread end outside the bobbin
- Wind the thread a few times inside the bobbin and put it on the winder on the handwheel
- Check if the thread is winding counterclockwise on the bobbin and hold it gently as the machine winds
- Turn off the machine after the bobbin is full
- Insert the bobbin into the case
Was this tutorial easy to follow? We just discussed how to use Sunbeam Mini sewing machine, and discovered that it’s not that different when sewing with other standard machines. Just remember to start with low speed and gently guide the fabric as it feeds to ensure neat stitches.
Please check how you threaded your unit as well, and follow your manual diligently. And if you have more questions, leave them below.