Last Updated on 4 months by Susan Mayrich
Different brands manufacture sewing machines and come in different models, types, colors, accessories, add-ons, features, and capabilities. Not all of these will be relevant to you, and also, the more the capabilities and features, the higher the cost of a sewing machine.
But this sewing machine detailed reviews will give you an overall understanding of different sewing machines, brands, models, features and specifications, and types to get the best sewing machine that matches your personal preferences, project needs, and must-have features.
What Is A Sewing Machine?
A sewing machine is a machine we use to sew, stitch, or join together pieces of fabric using a needle and thread. A sewing machine is a gadget you can use to make or sew clothes, masks, home decor, etc. You can even use it to sew a seam that is ripped, quilt, or repair clothes.
Sewing Machine History
The first sewing machine was invented in 1790 by Elias Howe and Englishman Thomas Saint. You can read more about the history of a sewing machine here (Sewing Machine History)
What Are The Five Types Of Sewing Machines?
Whether you’re at home, at work, or everywhere, sewing machines are becoming part of our lives.
Here is a list of all sewing machine types
- Mechanical Sewing Machines
- Electronic Sewing Machines
- Computerized or Automated Sewing Machines
- Mini and Portable Sewing Machines
- Embroidery Machines
For a full review of all these types, check here (Types of Sewing Machines)
Manual sewing machines
These sewing machines were used sometime back when there was no access to power though they exist.
Mechanical sewing machines
These are the next after manual models; they are operated using a pedal instead of electrical power. They are the cheapest in the line of sewing machine types.
Electronic sewing machines
The electronic sewing machines have a single motor and run using power. The motor is activated by pressing the foot pedal down. They have more features than a mechanical sewing machine and cost more than a mechanical one.
Sewing machine reviews mini and portable machines
A mini sewing machine is tiny, portable, and can be used while holding. They are just used for repair and adjustments. They are the cheapest sewing machines on the market.
Computerized or automated machines
These are one of the most advanced sewing machines, and they are the most expensive. They usually connect to the internet and come equipped with a USB port and built-in memory to import designs to the machine. They use buttons instead of dials and come with an LCD touchscreen for editing, creating, and handling your embroidery designs.
These are more of doing decorative needlework. They allow you to create beautiful designs on a piece of fabric. Some computerized sewing machines can do both embroidery and sewing. So you can buy a 2in1 sewing and embroidery machine. If you’re a beginner, read more about the Best Embroidery Machine for Beginners.
Interested in quilting, then you should have a quilting sewing machine. Though regular sewing machines can handle small quilts, you need a severe quilting machine if you aim to go for large quilting projects. If you want to make both sewing and quilting, you can buy a combination of both.
Overlocking or serger machines
Serger or overlock sewing machines are the fastest machines. They are used to finish edges and also create hems and seams.
Portable sewing machine
The portable sewing machines are smaller than regular ones, also referred to as handheld ones. They are compact and lightweight but bigger than mini sewing machines. They are basically for home use. They handle small and medium sewing projects, repair, alteration, and adjustment. They are a little bit more expensive than regular sewing machines.
Heavy-duty sewing machines
These machines can handle big and more tough sewing projects than other sewing machines. Therefore, they are mainly used for business and commercial purposes. They sew heavy-weight materials and thick fabric like leather, denim, and suede at high speed. Please read our review of the best heavy-duty sewing machines.
Lochstich sewing machines
These sew zigzag stitching and straight stitched seams
Read About: Types of Sewing Machines in full details
What Are The Parts Of A Sewing Machine?
Here are all parts of the sewing machine, including a photo, to better understand the machine. For a detailed list of sewing machine parts and their functions, click here ( PARTS OF A SEWING MACHINE)
What Are The Sewing Machine Accessories?
Sewing machine accessories are must-have tools to make your sewing projects fast and accessible. Read more about sewing machine accessories and their functions.
Pins and Pincushion
Iron and Water Sprayer
Thimble and Threader
Seam Ripper and Tweezers
Sewing Gauge and Binder Clips
Glue Stick and Ponytail Holders
Rotary Cutter and Cutting Mat
Read More about Sewing Accessories in full detail
What Are the Features Of A Sewing Machine?
Automatic Needle Threader
What Are The Top Sewing Machine Brands And Companies?
A list of sewing machine brands and companies including Brother, Singers company, Janome, and Bernina. There are so many sewing machine brands and companies, but we have listed the top-rated and known sewing machine brands.
- Brother Sewing Machines
- Bernina Sewing Machines
- Singer Sewing Machines
- Janome Sewing Machines
- Elna Sewing Machines
- Babylock Sewing Machines
- Husqvarna Viking Sewing Machines
- Juki Sewing Machines
- Pfaff Sewing Machines
Which Sewing Machine Brand Is The Most Reliable?
The most reliable sewing machine brands are the top known brands for manufacturing high-end sewing machines, high quality, and meeting users’ expectations. They are also ranked based on customer reviews.
The Most Reliable And Top-Ranking Sewing Machine Brands Include;
Best Sewing and Embroidery Machine
So you’re looking for a machine that can perform both sewings and embroidering. Buying a machine that can do both jobs is a decision as it comes with many benefits, such as saving money while buying a 2in1 machine and saving space. There are hundreds of sewing machines out there that can embroider and do sewing but getting the best to handle your sewing project can be very tricky.
What Are The Best Sewing Machines For Making Clothes?
Sewing your sewing garments is a good idea because you want to create something stunning in any way and design you want it to be.
Having a good sewing machine can help you sew your garments and sew things like pillowcases, curtains, and so much more. Getting a good sewing machine that can sew your clothes is very challenging because not every machine can handle clothes well.
Here is a summary of the best sewing machines for making clothes
- Singer 7258 Stylist Computerized Sewing Machine
- Juki Hzl-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
- Janome Dc5100 great for dressmaking
- Brother 1034D 3/4 Thread Serger
- Brother SE400 sewing machine
- Singer Sewing 4432 sewing machine
- Brother CS6000i (beginner-friendly)
- Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
- Janome 8077 Computerized Sewing Machine
- Brother Project Runway CE7070PRW
What Are The Best Sewing Machines For Beginners
So you’re a beginner in the sewing world and would like to know what is the best beginner sewing machine for me that I can use as a beginner. Read a detailed review of Best Sewing Machines for Beginners As a beginner, it’s good to get a good sewing machine and an affordable price because you don’t want to spend a significant amount on complicated sewing machines with hundreds of features. It’s good to buy a machine that won’t make you break the bank, a sewing machine with moderate features, portable in size, and lightweight.
As a beginner, it’s good to get a good sewing machine and an affordable price because you don’t want to spend a significant amount on complicated sewing machines with hundreds of features. It’s good to buy a machine that won’t make you break the bank, a sewing machine with moderate features, portable in size, and lightweight.
Here is a summarized list of the best sewing machines for beginners.
- Brother CS6000i sewing machine
- SINGER M1500 Mechanical Sewing Machine
- Central Mini Portable Sewing Machine
- Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine
- Brother XR3774 Sewing and Quilting Machine
- Husqvarna Viking Jade 20 Sewing Machine
- Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
- Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
- Magicfly Mini Sewing Machine
What Are The Best Sewing Machines For Advanced Sewers?
You already passed the beginner’s sewing level and looking for that sewing machine at the level you are, a sewing machine with some good sewing features and specifications. Read a detailed and complete review of The best sewing machines for advanced sewers.
At your level, you want a high-end sewing machine loaded with hundreds of sewing functions and accessories. In addition, you want a sewing machine that performs and handle some big sewing projects. But you shouldn’t worry; here is a summarized list of the best sewing machines for advanced sewers.
What Is The Best Professional Sewing Machine?
If you’re a professional sewer, you’re looking for a high-end sewing machine, looking for the best sewing machine for business purposes. A sewing machine with a high stitching speed. Professional sewing machines come loaded with hundreds of sewing features and accessories and can handle heavy fabric. When looking for a professional sewing machine, you should always look at these features and things to know before buying a sewing machine.
What Is The Best Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine?
As an advanced or professional sewer, you will always be not handling sewing projects with lightweight or soft materials. It would help if you had a machine that can handle heavy-duty sewing projects, a sewing machine that comes loaded with hundreds of features and accessories such as stitching speed, number of embroidery designs, LCD touch screen, automatic threading needle, programable patterns, great stitch control function, thread cutter, monogramming, many sewing feet, and ample sewing space, number of stitches per minute and so many others.
You want a high-speed, robust, and durable sewing machine that can handle heavy fabrics such as leather, denim, and others.
Here is a summarised list of the best heavy-duty sewing machine
- Janome HD3000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
- Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Brother ST371HD
- Singer Heavy Duty 4411
- Sailrite LSZ-1
- SINGER 9960 Computerized Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Brother STH150HDH Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Janome MC-6300P Heavy-Duty Computerized Quilting Sewing Machine
- Brother PQ1500SL Sewing machine
- Janome MC-6300P sewing machine
Here is a detailed review of the best heavy duty sewing machine
What Is The Best Sewing Machine For Heavy Fabric?
Thick fabrics require much attention when it comes to sewing. In addition, handling such sewing projects requires a unique sewing machine. Whether you’re a beginner, intermediate or advanced sewer, it’s essential to know the different types of machines out there before making any choice. Read a full review about Best Sewing Machine for Heavy Fabric
Her. e is a list of the best sewing machine to handle think fabric.
- SINGER | Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
- Brother ST371HD Sewing Machine
- Juki TL-2010Q 1-Needle, Lockstitch, Portable Sewing Machine
- Janome Industrial-Grade Aluminum-Body HD1000 Black
- JUKI TL-2000Qi Sewing and Quilting Machine
- SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 Sewing Machine
- Brother ST150HDH Sewing Machine, Strong & Tough
- Janome Industrial-Grade Aluminum-Body HD10004452
- Janome HD1000 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
- Sewing Machine, Black Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Reviews: Cheap Sewing Machines
Are you looking for an affordable sewing machine? Buying a sewing machine shouldn’t be expensive, especially if you’re a beginner, because you need a machine from the start—a sewing machine to learn how to sew. Maybe you want a cheap sewing machine for your kids to use while sewing. You might also want to buy a sewing machine to handle your basic sewing projects like repairing. Read a full review about Cheap sewing machines.
Sewing Machine Review: Here is a list of cheap sewing machines.
- Singer 1234 Portable
- Brother XM2701 Lightweight
- Singer Start 1304
- Brother LX3817 Lightweight
- Brother Jx2517 Lightweight
- Janome 41012 Portable
- Singer 4411 Heavy Duty
- Brother CS5055PRW
- Janome 2212
- Juki HZL- 27Z
- Michely LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew
- Nex Sewing Machine
- Amado Portable Sewing Machine
Read a full review about Cheap sewing machines.
Sewing Machine Review: What Type Of Sewing Machine Is Best For Quilting In 2021?
But years back, if you wanted to quilt would have to buy a big quilting machine. Thanks to the innovative technology, now you can get yourself a quilting machine if you’re a home quilter. Sewing Machine review: Read about a full review of the best sewing machines for quilting.
Here is a summarised list of the best sewing machine for quilting in 2021
- Brother Innov-is A80
- Brother FS130QC
- Janome 4120QWDC
- Brother Innov-is NV1100
- Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630
- Brother Innov-is NV1800Q
- Bernette by Bernina B77 Sewing and Quilting machine
- Brother Innov-is VQ2
Sewing Machine Review: What Is The Best Handheld Sewing Machine?
A handheld sewing machine is a machine that solves a lot of problems. They are versatile, mobility, portable, and lightweight. These are the best sewing machines for solving minor sewing problems. They are portable and light in that you can carry them in your bag whenever you go. Another advantage of a handheld sewing machine is that it is cheap, so that you won’t worry about the budget.
They solve simple problems like repairing clothes.
- ENJOY Handheld Sewing Machine
- FIFA Mini Sewing Machine
- SINGER Stitch Sew
- i-FSK Cordless Handheld Machine
- Jeteven Handheld Sewing Machine
- SINGER 01664 Stitch Sew Quick 2
- Varimax Mini Sewing Machine Electrical with Foot Pedal
- HAITRAL Handheld Sewing Machine
- MSDADA Portable Sewing Machine
- Sew Mighty Handheld Sewing Machine
- CHARMINER Handheld Sewing Machine
What Is The Best Sewing Machine To Buy For An Intermediate Sewer?
Every level and sewing skill has a type or model of sewing machine suitable for that. Therefore, there are sewing machines for beginners, intermediate, and professionals. Read a full review about the best sewing machine for intermediate sewers.
Sewing Machine review: Here is a summarised list of the best sewing machine for intermediate sewers
- SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 with 600 built-in stitches
- Juki HZL-F600 with 16 buttonholes, straight and zigzag stitch.
- Brother CS6000i 9 sewing feet and free arm.
- Brother XR3774 with ample working space and Foot pedal
- Bernette 38 with fast sewing speed and 69 decorative stitches.
- Brother HC1850 combined sewing and quilting with an LCD.
- Janome HD3000BE with a Five-piece feed dog system.
- SINGER 4411 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine
- Eversewn Sparrow 25 “A feature-rich computerized sewing machine
- SINGER Heavy Duty 4423 with four presser feet. Reverse lever. Automatic threader.
- Janome HD1000 (Black Edition) “An elegant sewing machine with Front-loading bobbin system.”
Sewing Machine Review: Sewing Machine Repair Cost Guide | Basics & Tips
When you have a sewing machine, there are things you can not run away from, such as facing sewing machine problems. You will face some machine problems sooner or later, especially if you have an old sewing machine.
Read a full review: Sewing machine Repair
Sewing Machine Most Common Sewing Machine Problems?
Broken or bent needles
Fabric is not feeding
Breaking of threads
The machine keeps skipping stitches
Bobbin tension inconsistent
The sewing machine won’t sew
Thread inconsistently tangles pr loosens, or tangles
Thread shredding and fraying
Fabric feed is not consistent
The sewing machine is making noises
The sewing machine is running, but the needle is not moving
How Do I Choose A Good Sewing Machine?
There are many things you know first before buying a sewing machine to get the best sewing machine for your needs.
Read a detailed review: Thing to consider before buying a sewing machine
What Should I Sew As A Beginner?
So you have your sewing machine ready and wondering what some of the easy sewing projects for the beginner are.
You shouldn’t worry. Here is the list of beginner sewing projects.
- Chapstick Keychain Holder:
- Library Tote Bag:
- Laptop Case:
- Ipad Sleeve:
- Jumbo Receiving Blankets:
- Easy Tote:
- Birthday Banner
Check a detailed and complete list: Best sewing projects for beginners
How To Clean A Sewing Machine?
You should clean a sewing machine regularly to keep it from getting problems. Sewing machines are cleaned depending on the type, model, or brand. Read a detailed tutorial and tips on how to clean your sewing machine
Video on how to clean a sewing machine
Sewing Machine Review Brands Details
Brother sewing machine review 2021
When we talk about sewing machines, one of the top Brands which comes into our heads is Brother Company. Brother sewing machines are manufactured by Brother Industries, Ltd, a Japanese multinational electronics company headquartered in Nagoya, Japan.
Read a Sewing Machine full review about Brother Sewing Machines here ( Brother Sewing Machine Review) Brother sewing machines are the best machines globally, high-end and high-quality sewing machines. They include sewing machines, embroidery machines, and quilting machines.
Some of Brother’s sewing machines include;
- Brother LX17 sewing machine
- Brother SE1900 Sewing Machine
- Brother CS7000I Sewing Machine
- Brother XM1010 Sewing Machine
- Brother XR9550 Sewing Machine
- Brother LB5000M Marvel Edition
You can review a complete list of Brother sewing machines here (List of brother sewing machines)
What Is The Best Brother Sewing Machine?
If you’re planning to buy a brother sewing machine, probably think of getting the best sewing brother machine. Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine and Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine are considered the top best sewing machines.
Other best sewing brother machines include;
- Brother XM1010 Sewing machine
- Broth SE400 combination computerized sewing and embroidery
- Brother PQ1500SL quilting and sewing machine
- Brother ST371HD is a solid and rigid sewing machine
- Brother LB6800PRW Computerized sewing and embroidery machine
- Brother XR9500PRW sewing machine
- Brother PQ1500S quilting & sewing machine
- Brother PC-420 Project Runway sewing machine
- Brother XR3774 sewing machine
- Brother CP6500 sewing machine
- Brother XR9550PRW sewing machine
Best Brother Beginner Sewing Machines Reviews
Are you new to sewing and looking for the best Brother sewing machine for beginners. Maybe you are looking ahead to sewing clothes, doing home decor, and more.
Here’s a quick list of the top best beginner Brother sewing machines
- Brother XM2701 Portable Sewing Machine
- Brother CS7000X Computerized Sewing Machine
- Brother XR3774 Full-Featured Quilting Machine
- Brother LX3817 International Sewing Machine
- Brother XM1010 Sewing Machine
- Brother XR9550PRW Project Runway Sewing Machine
- Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing & Embroidery Machine
- Brother HS2500 Sewing Machine
Janome Sewing Machine Reviews
So do you think Janome Sewing Machine is worth your time and money? Which is the best Janome sewing machine? Our Janome sewing machines review will give all details you need to know about these sewing machines. Janome sewing machine user ratings, pros and cons, specifications, features, warranty, etc.
Janome company started operating in 1921 as a Pine sewing machine and became Janome in 1954. This is a fast sewing machine company to manufactures computerized sewing machines.
Sewing Machines Reviews A-List of Janome Sewing Machines
- Continental M7 Professional with 1,300 Stitches per minute
- Memory Craft 550E with six fonts for monogramming
- Horizon Memory Craft 9450
- Memory Craft 6700P
- Horizon Quilt Maker Memory Craft 15000
- AirThread 2000D
- Skyline S9
- Quilt Maker Pro 20
- HD9 Professional
A-List of Janome sewing machine models
- Janome 1100D Professional.
- Janome 1110DX.
- Janome 1200D Professional.
- Janome 1600P-QC.
- Janome 2206.
- Janome 2212.
- Janome 2222.
- Janome 3128
- Janome Buzzin Blue
- Janome Citrus Circus
- Janome DC1018
- Janome DC1050
- Janome DC2012
- Janome DC2013
- Janome DC2014
- Janome DC2015
- Janome DC2016
- Janome DC5100
Click here to view more
Best Janome sewing machine for quilting
Janome is one of the top sewing machine brands known for high-quality manufacturing machines.
If you’re a quilter looking for the best Janome quilting machine, check here
Janome 3128 Sewing machine
Janome Graceful Gray Basic
Janome MOD-50 Computerized Sewing Machine
Janome 7330 Magnolia Computerized Sewing Machine
Singer Sewing Machine Reviews
When we talk about getting the job done fast, we talk about Singer sewing machines. Singer company started operating in the 1800s, and in 1975, the company released the world’s first electronic sewing machine. The singer was named after Isaac Merritt Singer, who invented the first practical sewing machine.
Singer Sewing Machines list includes;
- Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine
- Quantum Stylist™ 9960 Sewing Machine
- Legacy™ SE300 Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- Heavy Duty 6800C Sewing Machine
- Heavy Duty 6600C Sewing Machine
- Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine
- Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine
- Heavy Duty 4411 Sewing Machine
- Simple™ 3232 Sewing Machine
- Simple™ 3223 Sewing Machine
- Fashion Mate™ 3342 Sewing Machine
Singer Sewing Machine Review: Best Singer Sewing Machine
When looking for a singer sewing machine, you want to get the best singer sewing machine at an affordable price.
Read about: Best Singer sewing machine
- SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- SINGER 2259 Tradition Portable Sewing Machine
- SINGER 7469Q Confidence Quilter Computerized Sewing Machine
- SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Sewing Machine
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are the answers to your questions:
What are the best singer sewing machines for beginners
The singer is one of the Brands known for manufacturing the best sewing machines; whether you’re a beginner, intermediate or professional sewer, you can get the best sewing machine from the singer.
If you’re a beginner and looking for the best singer sewing machine for beginners, you shouldn’t worry. I’ve got your back.
Read a full review of Best Singer Sewing Machiner for Beginner.
Here is a list
- Singer 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Singer 3232 Simple Sewing Machine
- Singer 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
What is the best singer sewing machine for quilting
Looking for the best Singer sewing machine for quilting, we have what you need. We have compiled a list of sewing machines for quilters.
You can also get a sewing machine that can sew and quilt.
- SINGER 4423 Sewing Machine, grey
- SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Sewing Machine
- SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Sewing Machine
- SINGER Confidence 7469Q Computerized & Quilting Sewing Machine
- SINGER Confidence 7469Q Computerized Sewing Machine
- SINGER Legacy C440 Computerized Sewing Machine
- SINGER Legacy C440 Computerized Sewing Machine
- SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine with 110 Stitch
- SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine with 110 Stitch application
Does Brother still make sewing machines?
Yes, Brother Company Ltd has been manufacturing sewing machines for over 25 years, and the company is still manufacturing sewing machines.
Are Brother sewing machines good quality?
Yes, Brother sewing machines are of good quality. The company is one of the top companies manufacturing good and high-quality sewing machines. In addition, you can get an excellent brother sewing machine at an affordable price. One of the best Brother sewing machines, Brother XM2701, is under $100. You may also be interested to know about common sewing machine problems.
How to thread a Brother sewing machine?
Looking for the tutorial on how to thread a brother sewing machine? check this video
How to set up a Brother sewing machine?
Setting a brother sewing is not as complicated as some think. Here is the video on how to set up a brother sewing machine.
How to thread a bobbin on a Brother sewing machine?
Read More: About Brother Sewing Machine Review Full Details
How to use a singer sewing machine
So you have just landed on your best singer sewing machine, and you’re wondering how to use it. Don’t worry.
How to thread an old singer’s sewing machine
Sewing machines are threaded differently depending on the year, model, type, and brand. This video will help you learn how to thread an old singer sewing machine.
How to thread a singer sewing machine
Want to learn how to thread a Singer sewing machine? Watch this video
It’s A Wrap!
Now, that you’ve known sewing machine detailed reviews You may also be interested to know why is my sewing machine not sewing and why is my sewing machine not moving the fabric.
1 thought on “Sewing Machine Detailed Reviews, Rating, Guide, And Tips”