It’s not uncommon to have accidents around the house, but sometimes they can be a nightmare to clean up. Accidents happen and you should never feel shame for them. This blog post will teach you how to get vomit smell out of carpet so that your home smells fresh again.
Does vomit smell in carpet go away?
“Yes. Vomit smell can go away, however, compared to other substances, vomit is more difficult to remove from carpet. If the vomit has been there for a while, it may have seeped deep into the fibers of your carpet and can take more than one cleaning process to extract all of the odor.
Vomit usually has a foul odor that can be hard to eliminate quickly. Sometimes, the smell can linger long after you think it’s gone.
How to Remove Vomit Smell from Carpet
If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We know how frustrating it can be when your child or pet gets sick and leaves behind that awful stench.
That’s why we created this guide on how to get vomit smell out of carpet. It contains all the information you need in order to remove that nasty odor from your home once and for all.
- How to Remove Gum from Carpet
- How to Get Mustard Stains Out of Carpet
- HOW TO GET MARKER OUT OF CARPET
- HOW TO GET GLUE OUT OF CARPET
Use Baking Soda to Get Vomit Smell out of Carpet
One of the best carpet cleaner to get that vomit smell out of your carpet is with baking soda. Baking soda has natural odor eliminator qualities and should be used in moderation to avoid it from eating away at the fabric of your carpet.
- When you have a vomit stain, you can put some baking soda down on the spot. Pour some boiling water over the baking soda. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- After you can apply vinegar or lemon juice to the affected area of the carpet
- Use a scrub brush and scrub vigorously over the soiled section for five minutes, making sure to get in all nooks and crannies.
- Rinse off the mixture and let the carpet dry thoroughly before walking on it again.
- If you’d like, you can also vacuum up any residue left behind afterward for extra measure.
Use Laundry Detergent to Remove Vomit Smell from Carpet
One of the most effective methods to get vomit smell out of carpet is laundry detergent.
- When you have a vomit stain, you can apply water onto the affected area.
- Then soak up as much of the liquid as possible with several paper towels.
- Then apply laundry detergent over the area and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, scrub vigorously for about 5 minutes with a brush.
- Rinse off the mixture and let your carpet dry before you walk on it again.
- You can also add in some vinegar or lemon juice to the detergent after soaking the spot in it for 10 minutes. This will help to combat any lingering smells which might not have been eliminated by just soap alone.
Take Note: It’s important to remember not to use a brush on the carpet as this will damage it. You should be using a sponge mop or a rubber glove instead.
How to Get Vomit Smell out of Caropet with Hydrogen Peroxide
Another effective way of getting vomit smell out of carpet is by using hydrogen peroxide. There are several ways to go about this process.
- If you have a small stain, you can use a dry cloth or sponge and apply hydrogen peroxide in its solution form directly onto the affected area.
- Let it air dry before cleaning it up with warm water and soap.
- Make sure you allow the area to dry thoroughly before walking on it again.
- If you have a larger area affected by vomit, you’ll want to spray the hydrogen peroxide over the entire spot.
- Allow to dry and apply boiling water and detergent afterward for best results.
Take Note: If the stain persists, repeat this process again. Never rub or agitate a carpet when trying to remove a stain.
Use Vinegar and Water to Get Vomit Smell Out of Carpet
One of the best things you can do for your carpet is apply vinegar with water. This method is effective vomit odor removal because it neutralizes the acids that cause vomit smell.
- After you have removed as much vomitus as you can, mix an equal amount of vinegar and water.
- Spray the solution of vinegar and water over the area.
- Let it sit for 2 – 5 minutes.
- Follow up with a dry cloth to soak up the moisture.
- If the stain doesn’t go away, try dabbing it with a mixture of 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon blue Dawn dish detergent.
- Blot to remove the remaining residue
- Rinse and leave the carpet to dry
This process will help remove any stains left behind as well as neutralize any odors for good.
How to remove vomit smell from carpet with Club Soda
One way to clean up vomit is to use a club soda and mix it with baking soda.
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the vomit and then pour the club soda over it.
- Get a towel and soak up as much as you can.
- After that, do a vinegar rinse over the spot and let dry.
- Another way to try cleaning up vomit from your carpet is by using club soda and hydrogen peroxide mixed together in equal proportions.
- Pour this mixture on top of the vomit and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Then rinse
Getting dried vomit out of carpets
Vomit that has dried on the carpet is more challenging to remove, but it isn’t always possible to locate or clean a stain immediately, especially if you have dogs or young children. Even though dried vomit is more difficult to remove than fresh vomit, it can be cleaned from a carpet.
- Damp the stain with warm water until the coagulated matter has been loosened and the substance is no longer sticky.
- Blot the area with a commercial or DIY cleaning solution to remove any excess wax.
- Repeat as needed until the stain has disappeared.
- Use a deodorizer to cover the wet carpet and let it dry.
FAQs About Getting Vomit Smell out of Carpet
What kills the smell of vomit?
The best way to get rid of vomit smell from carpet is by using a deodorizer such as baking soda.
You can use any one of these methods; house cleaners, natural solutions, hydrogen peroxide or even club soda. The method you choose will depend on the severity of the stain and how much time you have to treat it.
There are many commercial products available for this purpose but if none are available at home then below are some natural ways that work just as well:
Do vomit smell in carpet go away?
Yes, the smell of vomit will leave your carpet.
How long does it take for vomit smell to go away?
It usually takes about 12 – 24 hours or one week for the smell of vomit to disappear. The best way to get rid of it is by using a deodorizer such as baking soda, clay or activated charcoal that absorbs vomit odors and helps neutralize them.
As well as vinegar and hydrogen peroxide mix, which will make the odor go away faster than just concentrating on your carpet stain.